Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

best low light, good color accuracy camcorder under $1000?

The 3 CCD camcorders seem to have tiny 1/6" CCDs so you lose low light performance to get color accuracy :-P

Are Sony camcorders like the HC40 still the king for low light performance?
    Curious if camcorders like the JVC GRD-Z7U and GRDF550U have caught up (they're some of the few that have USB 2.0 Video Class support so you can download videos over your USB port and use it as a webcam):
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=502394
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...44901?n=502394

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: best low light, good color accuracy camcorder under $1000?

They're not bad looking on paper. Make sure that you do have USB 2.0 if relying on that for video transfer. I haven't tried it out yet and am interested in how it works with existing video editing programs. I don't know if anyone has made plans for making it part of their interface yet.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Re: best low light, good color accuracy camcorder under $1000?

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    They're not bad looking on paper. Make sure that you do have USB 2.0 if relying on that for video transfer. I haven't tried it out yet and am interested in how it works with existing video editing programs. I don't know if anyone has made plans for making it part of their interface yet.
    i don't know about you but i can webcam through my firewire port. it is a little silly to use a 3ccd camera as a webcam but if you have the technology as mjs said i would be interested to see what editing software will see the usb 2 as a video stream but i like the idea of having a card for firewire as this will (if you get a better one) speed up your editing by improving rendering times and taking the strain off the cpu.

Thread Information