Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Before I hit CHECK OUT NOW

It's about that time to buy my gear for the video. I wanted to run it by your guys before I do and I hope you can convince me not to buy a few things to save money at this point.

It's important restate my goals:

I want to initially provide video services for family events from birthdays to low budget weddings.

I'm getting the Canon XH-A1. Why HD? I want to the HD for personal projects. I don't intend to offer HD output to clients until I know the business and HD becomes more common. I don't have the computer to edit HD anyway. I've read the Canon XH-A1 give you more bang for the buck over the Sony FX1 or FX7.

I'm getting the Bescor 50WATT on camera light with dimmer and battery pack. The price is right and I couldn't find a 100WATT light with dimmer at a price I can afford.

Mic selection is the Rode NTG-2 shotgun. I've read good things about it. Should I buy a mic that it less expensive? Should I buy one at all?

Extra 7 hour battery by Canon.

Above is what I'm about to dive in to getting. Tell me if you think I should get a different combination of accessories. For example, should I get a better light kit and use the on camera mic for now? Should I buy a third party battery to save a few dollars? Should I be buying a wirelss mic setup before getting the shotgun mic?

I know there are more things to consider.

Tripod, I'll be using my heavy duty Promaster tripod but will look for a better head.

Bag, I would rather get a no name bag and pad it myself to save money. It's also safer to to walk around with a bag that doesn't yell out brand names in my opinion.

External lights, I'm still doing reseach but I have a SV kit good for interviews but not to flood a reception's main table or dance floor. The video guy at the last event I shot didn't even have any external lighting. I'll look to rent if the time comes and I don't have it available.

Tapes.....I'll get good stuff. I read the it makes a difference and helps prolong the life of a camera.

Based on my initial goals, am I missing anything?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by poker; 04-26-2007 at 02:14 PM.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Re: Berore I hit CHECK OUT NOW

other than buying one for me i think you have it covered

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Very nice set up Eric. Go for a second back up battery for the camera and light if you can. Remember that you will probably only get one channel of audio with the Rode Mic unless you can set one of the inputs on the camera for both channels. That's a pretty nice investment you will be wanting to protect. I'd like to suggest a pelican or similar case, you'll appreciate it. A handheld mic for interviews wouildn't be a bad idea either. Check out the Shure VP64AL. It's a dynamic omnidirectional that is good for groups that man not be too careful, wedding parties, loaded relatives, etc.. That way you can still leave the Rode mounted up for natural (NAT) sound at parties, etc. A good pair of closed back headsets wouldn't hurt either. Many times people see their meters moving on a record job and don't realize that they may be just picking up a short in the wire. If business takes off, some type of wireless combo mic set, hand held transmitter and lavilierre, might be useful. We've been happy with the Azden dual channel rig.

Cool looking stuff, good luck with it.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Re: Before I hit CHECK OUT NOW

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I went to my Cinema Club meeting last night and the main guy there gave me the impression that getting the XH-A1 is premature technology. He said I wasn't going to get true HD since it is compressed when recorded to tape and then compressed again when transferred to harddrive. He said the only true HD video cameras are the one that record to straight to harddrive via that special output, HD-SDI.

He provides club members with free training on their vid cameras. I told him I would like to get training after I get my video camera. He said it didn't matter since he could just show me the ropes on his GL2 which he says, "it's the same thing."

He also told me to get an LED on camera light instead of the light I'm getting. LED lighting are a whole lot more though.

What do you guys think of his comments?
    Last edited by poker; 04-26-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo(s)
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

So I hit check out last Thursday but it has been a painful wait from B&H.

I've been ranting about it in this thread:

http://forums.photographyreview.com/...357#post209357
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

I met someone shooting a softball game with the Canon. Nice looking camera, comfortable layout and seems to shoot well. Didn't have my laptop or an external monitor to check out the footage, other than on camera LCD. Any luck on the purchase yet?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    I met someone shooting a softball game with the Canon. Nice looking camera, comfortable layout and seems to shoot well. Didn't have my laptop or an external monitor to check out the footage, other than on camera LCD. Any luck on the purchase yet?

I just got it yesterday! I have an opportunity to shoot with it today at a family event but I want to read the 200 pages of instructions before I do. Maybe I'll charge the battery anyway and mess around with it later today.

I got the Shure VP64AL and a pair of Sennheiser closed back headsets like you suggested.

I'll keep you updated :thumbsup:
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Producer, Media Educator (Video Dude) kkolbo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MJS
    Go for a second back up battery for the camera and light if you can. Remember that you will probably only get one channel of audio with the Rode Mic unless you can set one of the inputs on the camera for both channels. That's a pretty nice investment you will be wanting to protect. I'd like to suggest a pelican or similar case, you'll appreciate it. A handheld mic for interviews wouildn't be a bad idea either. Check out the Shure VP64AL. It's a dynamic omnidirectional that is good for groups that man not be too careful, wedding parties, loaded relatives, etc.. That way you can still leave the Rode mounted up for natural (NAT) sound at parties, etc. A good pair of closed back headsets wouldn't hurt either. Many times people see their meters moving on a record job and don't realize that they may be just picking up a short in the wire. If business takes off, some type of wireless combo mic set, hand held transmitter and lavilierre, might be useful. We've been happy with the Azden dual channel rig.
    I second all of it including the VP64AL, I have 6 of them. The Azdens have served me well also. The transmitter plug from the Azden stuck in the VP64 is great because the wedding attendees love to pass it around and give greetings to the bride and groom.
    Keith S. Kolbo
    Producer, Media Educator and Author
    Sony Vegas Certification Trainer

My forum participation is provided by Amvona.com
    My site is: www.amediaprof.com
    Amvona.com Profile and Blog

Thread Information