Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
    don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Need help creating video file from DVD...

Long time viewer, first time poster. Hah, that's a play on the old "talk radio" line...

But seriously, I feel like Alice in Wonderland wondering into this forum. And I'm armed with a newbie question that probably has a ridiculously simple solution.

I shot a magazine cover of actress Tanya Memme (host of A&E's Sell This House) about a year ago, and in a very surprising move, she actually showed the magazine at the end of one of the episodes of the show recently.

As if that wasn't cool enough, the producer of the show was kind enough to send me the entire episode on DVD.

So, how do I go about creating a video file from the DVD (that I can post on YouTube) of just that 30 second or so segment where she shows my photo? I have a DVD drive on my pc, but no video editing software that I'm aware of... :cryin:

Thanks for any kind of help!

BTW, if you consider this more of a "computer" issue and not a true video topic, feel free to move it to that forum...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

Re: Need help creating video file from DVD...

unfortunately the process is a little convoluted. A program called Auto GK (Auto Gordian Knot) is the best tool for the task. it will save the entire dvd to an avi file that you can then edit. if the dvd is copy protected this may not work, so you will first have to make a copy of the dvd. for this i use the program DVD shrink. I should point out that these tools don't work for every situation and they should only be used within the realms of copyright law. just because we can doesn't mean we should. If you have problems with it pm me and i will dig up my copy of the step by step instructions.

don't tase me, bro! Asylum Steve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman
    unfortunately the process is a little convoluted...
    Thanks, Simon. I probably should have added that I know Tanya as well as some of the folks at her production company. I'll be sure to get the ok with them before I go posting anything online.

But they like just about anything that promotes the show, which this of course would do...
    "Riding along on a carousel...tryin' to catch up to you..."

-Steve
    Studio & Lighting - Photography As Art Forum Moderator

Running the Photo Asylum, Asylum Steve's blogged brain pipes...
    www.stevenpaulhlavac.com
    www.photoasylum.com

i figured as much, i tend to be a little bit cagey about that one as it amounts to the way most people pirate dvds which being an editor is something i hate. you could ask them for the segment you want as an avi file, it would save you a lot of work and mean that the quality of the video you would post would be all the better.

Thread Information