Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>
    Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Audio on still/video cameras

An interesting zoom mic accessory for the GH1.
    http://gallery.photographyreview.com...123840&cat=558

I asked Canon about similar products, perhaps taking a mic from their camcorder range.
    But they have nothing that fits a DSLR hot shoe, the camcorder shoe is different fit and different contact layout.

They suggested going to Sennheiser for the microphone and BeachTek for XLR and phantom power interface to the stereo 3.5mm socket, with monitoring output.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Re: Audio on still/video cameras

Until you get into the braodcast video cameras, you still need all sorts of adapters to get a good mic. (most hot shoe mics aren't much better than the built in one) there are always exceptions though, I have seen a great rode mic that fits a standard hot shoe and connects via a 3.5mm jack, however that doesn't give you much control of levels. Personally I use a senheiser k6 powered head - it takes one AA size battery (although you can get a phantom powered version) it lets you screw on a variety of different mic modules, but I use it with the me66 which is a fantastic boom and directional mic with great frequency response and is used not only for video but in both live and studio music recording as well. You would still need the beachtek as the senheiser is very sensitive and has no way to reduce that on the mic. The upside is that as you turn the gain on the mic down the pickup pattern will narrow which means getting clean audio is a lot easier. If you do find a powered mic with good manual gain control most good audio stores will sell you an XLR to 3.5mm jack cable fairly cheaply, or you can make them yourself without to much drama. The are often used by people who have set up a home recording studio and on a portable camera are a lot easier to use than the beachtek stuff (although the controls from the beachtek are really really handy.) I have yet to see anything with a volume meter though so setting your levels is still a bit hit and miss.

Thread Information