Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Any method/service to recover data from mini-dvd which may not have been "finalized"

I fear I am out of luck -- but to secure your sympathy and possible help I relate why this is so important to me.

My 95 year old mother passed away in early August. She was a life long resident of Northern Indiana -- except for the last 8 years during which she was in an assisted living facility here in Northern California.

Pursuant to her wishs, her funeral services were in Indiana where she was buried along-side her pre-deceased husband (my Stepfather).

Because of severe health issues of my own -- my Wife and I were not able to go back to Indiana for the services.

At my request the funeral home videoed the service for me on a Camcorder which writes to a 1.4 GB mini-dvd. (at least such a disc was delvered to me). Based on the coloration change on the "recording side" it appears that there may be 20-25 minures of data written to the Disk.

I cannot open the disk -- I have tried it on my Windows Xp Desktop computer, (with Windvd 8 gold) my Vista laptop (With Windows Media Center) and the built-in Dvd player of a TV.

Not knowing anything about current mini-dvd camcorders I have searched the internet and have reached the preliminary conclusion that if the person who recordered the mini dvd -- "finalized" the dvd -- I should be able to open and view this dvd with any of the above.

Because I can not -- I am guessing that the disc was not finalized, on all of the above machines there is "hunting" going on --based on drive noises and disc drive lights flickering.

Does any one know of a Service or Program by which the video data might be recovered?

Thanks for any help or insight you may be able to give; Even if it is confirmation that I am out of "Luck".

Thanks

Re: Any method/service to recover data from mini-dvd which may not have been "finalized"

You should be able to finalise the disc if you can lay your hands on a camcorder similar to the one that it was recorded on. have you tried opening the disc as a data disc? the files may be viewable that way. at worst contact the place that recorded it and ask them. if you send them back the disc they should be able to finalise it and send it back to you. alternatly if you find out what model camera was used to record it you may be able to hire or borrow one localy and finalise the disc yourself.
    Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur

Re: Any method/service to recover data from mini-dvd which may not have been "finalized"

EUREKA! I found something that works!!

I am not sure where I found the reference, however I found a program which works -- isn't expensive and regarding which the e-mail support [EVEN PRIOR TO PURCHASE] is great!

CDRoller

I don't know to post a link in this (or any) forum -- so check out -- www.cdroller.com.

[Gosh, I still know how the "link" got in to the text of the "Preview"]

With the free ot dwnload "Trial" version of the program I was able "recover" (but not save) a 1.24 Gb .vob file from the unknown camcorder created disk.

Comfortable That I had "something" --I then did the on-line purchase and within 10 minutes or so, thereafter I was watching a MPEG movie of the Services referred to in my orignal post.

Hint: read the Info boxes that pop up from time to time carefully ( I didn't initially) it will save you some grief.

Nelson

Thread Information