Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Camcorder not seen by computer!!!!!

Okay, I've been working on this for 2 weeks now and I can't get my computer to see my camcorder. It was working and then it just stopped the next day. These are the things I've tried.

1. New firewire cable
    2. uninstalling firewire drivers and letting Vista rebuild
    3. turning off firewall

And I don't think it's the camera that's a problem because it knows when i plug the cable in since on the lcd it says DVin. And the computer does kinda flicker like it knows something was plugged into it, but nothing is there. Please help.

Camcorder is a Sony DCR-HC26
    Last edited by driftwood; 07-09-2007 at 12:43 PM.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Re: Camcorder not seen by computer!!!!!

I'm not familiar enough with Vista to answer. What program are you using to edit. Does Vista have a hardware manager under the system folder to see if the camera is recognized? Does the camera menu need to be reset so that the out is through the DV cable and not accepting a signal in from the PC?
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

i've used a couple of programs such as windows movie maker and premiere pro, neither of them work.

vista is the same as xp as far as content and control, it's just that stuff is in a different
    location.

with the camera, i'm using firewire and it works the same on the camera as a comp, it
    just always works, there are no settings for it.

as for the device manager, there is one and it does not show that the camera is there,
    i've looked for a other devices section, not there, i've looked under the 1394 controler section,
    not there either, when i try to import with movie maker, it says there is no camera conected.
    premiere pro says that capture device is offline.

MJS
    Digital Video Moderator

Integrated port or a separate card. You might need to reseat the card in the PC or even change to another slot.
    Michael
    Nikon Samurai #8
    Avid Editor
    Sony Shogun

Thread Information