Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

24fps? Worth the money?

Hi guys,

I've been doing video for a few years now and have decided to change things up a bit and actually do the filming as well as the editing. I've been looking at some "prosumer" level cameras (ag-dvx100 especially) and, while I like the idea of 24p, I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra money?

I basically have $1200 to spend on the camera. My main usage is going to be filming car racing and random activities to be edited together and be made into a DVD for a group of racing enthusiasts. But it will be used for other things as well. I'm not doing this professionally, just a little something to have fun with on the side.

I've been looking at the following cameras:
    Pan. AG-DVX100 (for 24p)
    Pan. AG-DVC30
    Sony TRV950
    Canon GL1
    Sony VX1000 (shying away from it though because it has no LCD screen)

I've been looking primarily on eBay and have seen some of these cameras going in my price range. But what do yall think? Is it worth saving and spending a little more on the DVX100 for 24fps (especially for my application). Thanks!

Re: 24fps? Worth the money?

I also will be doing alot of nighttime shooting as well so thats another factor that i need to weigh in.

Although I am on this site for my interest in photography, by profession I'm an applications engineer for a company that makes digital video broadcast equipment. If you are planning on using the video for DVDs, they are typically 30fps. (or sometimes 29.97 interlaced in the US) Virtually any camcorder format will work well for transfer to DVD. The main thing for video (more so than still photography) is the number of pixels captured by the CCD. The better cameras have 3 CCDs (1 for each color) and may also offer widescreen (16x9) format which is nice for todays TVs. One other thing that is common with photography is the quality of the lens which will ultimately affect the quality of the video more than the format or resolution of the camera. For what it's worth, broadcasters use almost exclusively Sony cameras although there are a few others beginning to creep in since the transition to HD.

i would have to disagree in terms of camera choice for broadcast. it is still a horses for courses industry and sony simply have more choices in terms of format dvcpro xdcam digi beta etc. but in australia (and excuse my superiority but pal is a better signal than ntsc) sony, panasonic and jvc share almost an equal distribution of the market with canon running a close fourth (especially with the xl lens mounts system. however that is changing rapidly as hi definition is becoming the production standard with newer manufacturers producing some very nice prosummer cams. personally i haven't played with any 24 fps cameras, however the pundits say that it mimics the feel of film as this is closest to the 25fps of most cinema cameras. so essentially if you want to make your movie look like it was shot on film rather than video then 24fps might be the way to go but imho (and this is likely to be controbersial) but if you know how to light for video and you do a good colour grade then your audience will be none the wiser.

Skyman, I have to give you that one. PAL with 25fps and progressive scan is superior. As in so many things, first isn't always best.

i am going to leave my last post in this thread unedited... but i apologise for its inacuracies, it is never advisable to post after consuming a bottle of shiraz.

Thread Information