Digital Video Forum

Digital Video Forum Discuss camcorders, HD video, HD DSLRs, video editing, DV software, and video techniques. Your DV forum moderator is Skyman.
Read and Write Camcorder Reviews >>

Thread: 24fps vs 30fps

24fps vs 30fps

Hi

I am trying to choose an entry level DSLR camera to buy after using a cheap digital camera, and one of the aspects is the achiveable video capture frame rate.
    (the 2 candidates are Canon Eos 550D 30fps@1080p and Nikon D3100 max 24fps@1080p)

Is the 24fps noticeably less smoth for fast moving objects (sport events, passing cars, panning) than the 30fps?

If its true then I shouldnt buy the nikon d3100, since it can not do 30fps@1080p. I dont want to record anything at 720p or lower resolution.

I have found a few sample videos on youtube with the 24fps Nikon d3100 and most of them look jerky and blurry on the fast moving objects and smooth/sharp on the slowly moving ones, while there was one video where everything looked smooth and sharp.
    I dont know if the blurryness and jerkyness was because of the slower 24fps frame rate or something else.

regards,

GB1

Re: 24fps vs 30fps

24 fps is industry standard for movies (or at least it WAS industry standard...), though many people will see a more fluid vid w/ 30 fps. Is it enough to make the difference when buying a camera? I would think that 24 is fine, but... that's just my opinion.

But I really don't think that it's the 24 fps that may be causing the video to look jerky and/or blurry. It could be something else, like motion blur due to the camera moving when the person's holding it. Note that those "steady shot" gizmos they used to put on camera were highly unimpressive. The new vibration reduction technology may be better in that respect. The best is the movie-quality motion damping technology which they use on expensive cameras (sorry, don't know the name).

G
    Photography Software and Post Processing Forum Moderator. Visit here!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Feel free to edit and repost my photos as part of your critique.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Site

The PAL and SECAM television standards have 25 frames/second. They are used all over the world except in the USA and Japan. Nobody complains about jerky images.

I think that the NTSC standard uses 30 frames/second just because the power supply in the USA is at 60Hz, not because it's better.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

thanks.

here is the video that i think it looks smooth:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyJCnOuofGg

and the one with jerky moving objects (kids skateboarding):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ex-11mrC22M

What can cause this problem, and how to fix it?
    The nikon d3100 doesn't offer manual exposure controls in movie mode, only exposure compensdation.

Actually i can see the same problems on the canon 550d sample videos as well.
    probably its because the image sensors are capturing all the time, for a 30fps they use 1/30sec shutter speed. I think old film cameras use 1/72sec, so they are capturing 1/3 of the time, so thats how they are more more smooth/sharp for fast motions.
    Thats my theory anyway...

I can't see any difference between the two videos. They both look OK to me.

What makes you think that the Canon is using 1/30s shutter speed? I agree it can't be any slower but I thought it could be faster. The Nikon D70 had an "electronic shutter" feature which allowed it to do still images with flash sync at 1/500s. I think that doing a video is similar.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Check out Sony's A33 (or A55), its the video workhorse of the 3. If video is a priority for you definitely check out the Sony SLT series.

I see the jerkyness you are talking about, and that is just the cameras shaking, in the first video the camera was smoothly panned, the second one somebody was just handholding it. It has nothing to do with the fps, though 30 does look better than 24, at least when seeing larger, more sweeping motions in the image.

i thought it doesnt do more than 30fps due to its image sensor. i read in an article saying that they can not record faster than 1080p/30fps video because thats the max data bandwidth that they can get out of the sensor.

anyway i just bought a d3100 and a sigma 18-200-os-hsm.

Digital camera is a workshop that has a thread of their 30 & 40 fps. You can easily apply for an entry level DSLR camera to buy in competition. The 24 fps is less smooth for fast moving objects rather than other. You can check lead generation marketing montreal and get to learn more new things about wealth. Join their website for more information.

I do not see any differences. They look similar.

Thread Information