• 11-15-2008, 02:19 PM
    lifted206
    Yet another entry level suggestion needed..
    I’m considering purchasing my first DSLR camera for the digital photography class I’m taking next quarter. Main photos I would be taking are around campus and city life such as downtown Seattle. Prints aren’t going to be too large, from what I expect (smaller than the size of a 8.5x11” paper). My budget would be under $600 for the body and lenses.

Thank you
  • 11-16-2008, 01:12 AM
    Sushigaijin
    Re: Yet another entry level suggestion needed..
    At that budget, I'd start cruising craigslist. Not that you can't find a good new body and lens for $600 - because you can - but I'd start with whatever fits your budget. All of the last couple of years' dSLRs are great cameras. Look for a canon xt or xti, or a nikon d40. Maybe a Sony a100, or even a minolta from a couple of years ago. There are a LOT of late model cameras out there waiting to be scooped up by students looking for deals.

There are also a handful of new cameras in the sub $600 range. I know you can pick up a new Olympus E4xx or E5xx with a kit lens or two for about that price...Amazon.com has a pretty solid search for low prices.

If you are still "considering" buying a dSLR, you might consider getting in and out for as little money as possible. See if photography is worth the extra cash to you before you drop as much as some of us fools do :blush2:
  • 11-16-2008, 08:23 AM
    Oblivion
    Re: Yet another entry level suggestion needed..
    Check www.amazon.com. At the moment you can get a new Canon Rebel XS from Amazon with kit lense for about $475. Check it out: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...sr=8-1&seller=

-Oblivion