Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Should i add a "magnifier" to my zoom lens?

Instead of buying a whole new zoom lens should i just add a magnifier to my current lens? the lady at the camera store said that it would "double" my furthest zoom level. What are the pros and cons of a magnifier? I understand that I may lose some quality in my photos.

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

Re: Should i add a "magnifier" to my zoom lens?

I think she is talking about a tele-converter, aka extender.

You can get 1.4x and 2x.

With a 1.4x a 200mm lens becomes a 280mm

With a 2x it becomes a 400mm.

However, there is no such thing as a free luch and with a tele converter, ther is a light loss to deal with;

a 1.4x loses 1 stop, so a 200mm f2.8 lens is now a 280mm f4

a 2x, 2 stops, so the 200mm f2.8 is a 400mm f5.6

Now if your using a consumer zoom like a 75-300, which has a max aperture of f5.6 at the long end, this would become at the long end either 420mm f8 or 600mm f11.

most SLRs require a max aperture of f5.6 for the autofocus to work, so you will probably lose the AF and f11 will require long exposures and a decent tripod to avoid camera shake.

There is also a loss of image quality, more with a 2x than a 1.4x

with a digital SLR you are often better just cropping than using a teleconverter
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

Yeah teleconverters aren't any good unless paired with top quality, fast glass. But, the better question is - what lens do you have, and what are you wanting to accomplish with a new lens/converter?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    Yeah teleconverters aren't any good unless paired with top quality, fast glass. But, the better question is - what lens do you have, and what are you wanting to accomplish with a new lens/converter?
    Great answers, Anbesol and starightarm! So tell us more about your gear and why you want to increase your reach, RayVilla.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Well i have a 18-55mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 zoom-Nikkor VR lens. I would like more of a zoom to take pictures of further subjects.

Definitely avoid a teleconverter for that. I am honestly puzzled why the sales lady would even suggest such a thing for that use. Teleconverters are most commonly and appropriately used for very fast super/telephotos, and primes. The lens you mention is quite the opposite of that on all counts. You would be much better off with even a basic 55-200mm f/4-5.6, or a 70-300 f/4-5.6. Though I would personally recomend looking into constant aperture lens like a 70-200 f/2.8 or f/4 (Tamron has one at f/2.8 on Nikon mount for some ~ $750, a great price really). Any of the options I mentioned would give you much better quality and flexibility than a teleconverter. In fact, I can't imagine a single scenario where using a teleconverter on a kit lens would be a *good* idea.

She also may have been talking about the teleconverters that affix to filters, which are entirely useless on DSLR and solely purposed for point and shoots. Applying a filter converter would be an even worse idea though ha.

Quote Originally Posted by RayVilla
    Well i have a 18-55mm f/3.5 - f/5.6 zoom-Nikkor VR lens. I would like more of a zoom to take pictures of further subjects.
    And what camera? I ask this because if - as I suspect seeing the lens - you have a camera without a focussing motor (D40/D40X/D60/D3000/D5000) then you will need a teleconverter that is compatible with your AF-S lens, otherwise you lose the autofocus.

In fact you may lose the autofocus anyway if you buy a 2x teleconverter - this transforms the lens into a 36-110mm f7-f11 - this is outside the supported minimum aperture for the Nikon autofocus (f5.6).

If I were you I would spend a little bit more money (but still less than $200) on a nice 55-200mm AF-S lens from Nikon (AF-S) or Sigma.(HSM). No problems with compatability and it zooms out much further. I have the Sigma for use with my D60.
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Listen carefully to what is being said here

I bought a used nikon teleconverter 2x for $50 dlls or so, used it with a nikon 70-300 f3.5-5.6 zoom AF, it does make for a decent trelescope

The loss of quality is significant, besides being a nice experiment, the photos are not good.

just save for a better lens .. really

yeah i have a nikon d3000 so yeah i guess i'll just save my money and get a better zoom lens. glad i said something here before i wasted money.

Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by RayVilla
    yeah i have a nikon d3000 so yeah i guess i'll just save my money and get a better zoom lens. glad i said something here before i wasted money.
    Good to see the forums working exactly as they should!

My guess is the salesperson saw you as a quick, small sale and worked that angle. But you really should save up for a decent telephoto zoom. You've got a solid camera and the kit lens will serve you well for the time being. There's not substitution for a great telephoto lens. Most of us buy teleconverters when the lenses they replace would cost thousands or are too big and bulky to be practical. However, you could spend a few hundred dollars and get a fine telephoto zoom lens to compliment your kit lens. Save your money, be patient, and start poking around to see what other people are using. You won't regret it
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

So i ended up buying a Tamron 28-200mm lens. I lost auto focus but it works for what i wanted. I got it for $100. I saw the same lens on ebay and other sites for about 280 new and 180 used so i got a pretty good deal i think.

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

And the lens will outlast the body and you'll get auto focus if you upgrade to a Nikon body that it works on.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information