Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

New to Digital SLR and CLUELESS!!!

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and somewhat new to photography. I've always had an interest in it, but haven't really decided to pursue it until now. I just purchased my first DSLR a few weeks ago and have been doing well playing with the AUTO function of my camera (Nikon D40X). I have taken some fun pictures and am ready to frame a few!!!

However, I want to start playing around with the other features (the reason one purchases a DSLR!!). I have watched a video produced by Nikon introducing the DSLR to beginners, but it goes rather quickly and I can't really keep up with the lingo. I would eventually like to become a professional photographer, but I'm not quite sure where to begin. Additionally, if I do aspire to become a professional, is knowledge of photoshop a must? Thank you for any help that you may be able to offer. Your valuable time is greatly appreciated!!!

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: New to Digital SLR and CLUELESS!!!

I would say yes, at least a basic knowledge of PS is a must. You'll need to learn how to do basic corrections such as cropping, straightening, color correcting, and in time you'll learn a bunch of other stuff. I've been using it almost every day for the past 3 years or so, and I know probably about 5% of the stuff you can do in that program.

When I got my first DSLR, I shot in Auto for a while, then I switched to A mode, which is aperture priority. I use that mode alot when I'm shooting sports. Well that depends on what sport I'm shooting.

When I get into my studio or shooting portraits, nature stuff, and cycling, I'll shoot in full manual mode. Once I started shooting in manual is where I really started to learn how things work.

You could also take a class at a local community college.

What part of CA are you from? If you're in the Bay Area, West Valley College has a great photo program (I just went through it
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

You might want to buy a book such as "Understanding Exposure" or something similar to get acquainted with the terminology. Nothing important doesn't have a name to learn.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Quote Originally Posted by deckcadet
    You might want to buy a book such as "Understanding Exposure" or something similar to get acquainted with the terminology. Nothing important doesn't have a name to learn.
    I'll second that recommendation. Good, easy to follow book with lots of examples.

Canon EOS 350D
    Canon EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM
    Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC
    Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DG
    Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    Canon Speedlight 430EX

My Flickr Page

Try getting hold of a book called "How to photograph absolutely everything" by Tom Ang

http://www.amazon.com/How-Photograph...8479749&sr=8-1

I read this while on holiday and it is really well written and gives clear examples.

Roger
    "I hope we will never see the day when photo shops sell little schema grills to clamp onto our viewfinders; and the Golden Rule will never be found etched on our ground glass." from The mind's eye by Henri Cartier-Bresson

My Web Site: www.readingr.com

DSLR
    Canon 5D; EF100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS USM; EF24-70 F2.8L USM 50mm F1.8 II; EF 100 F2.8 Macro
    Digital
    Canon Powershot Pro 1; Canon Ixus 100

I know there are people on this forum much more qualified than I am to help raise your understanding of photography but here is a web page I put together for friends at work. Give it a look and see if it has anything you can use.

http://www.theoldbarx.com/photo_tips.htm

Good luck and have fun while you figure this stuff out.

Thank you so much for all the replies. I really appreciate the help you all have offered this "newbie." I am also wondering if any of you sell your photographs. If so, how would one go about selling their photographs?

Thank you again for your help!!

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Basically, what you need are a subject to photograph, good execution, and a market. The methods of selling your photos will depend greatly on the subject and market. We don't know what you like to shoot, so it's hard for us to give you much more information there for the circumstances that you'll be aiming to get in right now.

One of my primary subjects is sports on the high school, and, possibly as soon as tomorrow, the college level. On the High School and lower level, you've got two main customers: yearbooks and proud parents. Yearbooks in my experience don't pay- I always gave my photos to my high school yearbook so the sports section wouldn't stink anymore- but the head of our Business office, who shot with me for years, created a website where we posted our photos for proud parents to purchase, splitting the proceeds between the athletic booster club and Media Studies.

While we didn't make any money directly for us, the business model does work to a pretty good extent for other situations where profit would be a must.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If the video you are watching is this one http://www.nikondigitutor.com/index_eng.html
    Click the skip movie thing at the bottom right. Then there is a 'site map' at the top of the window. Click that and pick your subject. I used the site frequently when learning my D80
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

The things you need to become a photographer:
    1) Get a good Camera (hint: you already completed this step).
    2) Get a good photography book.
    3) Practice what you have read.
    4) Get Photoshop (go ahead and get the full version, you will regret getting elements later on).
    5) Get a good photoshop book.
    6) Admire your progress.
    --The camera's role is not to interfere with the photographer's work--

--Cibachrome: It's like printing on gold.

--Edit my photos as part of your commentary if you want to.--

WOW!! Even more great advice! Thanks so much!!! I have taken some photographs (will post if anyone wants to see) and have looked at some too. I've taken photos of nature (the ocean, waves, rocks), but I haven't gotten a chance to photograph people. I think that I would eventually like to do wedding photography with a photojournalistic style, although I'm not quite sure yet - maybe sports too. What is a good way to get subjects? And out of curiosity, where to professional photographers get those really cool humongous albums (like the wedding ones) to put their photos in??

Thanks again everyone for helping me out!! I really appreciate all this wonderful advice!!! It is nice to be welcomed as a newbie!!!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Subjects are everywhere. Your eye will learn to see them. If you mean people in particular, I like to go to fairs, festivals, any public event. Just watch and shortly you won't be able to keep up with the shots you'll see.
    As for the albums, I'm not sure but I'd guess Walmart or any photo store. Saw some at Kits a couple days ago but wasn't paying attention.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Thread Information