Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
    Pentax Forum Moderator

And the winner is....

Thank you all for the great advice. After Kim and I played with all the different models, buttons, menus and styles, one came out on top. All the cameras were neck and neck and came down to how Kim felt about the camera and how it felt to her. And since I had batteries already charged, and an SD card, I made her start playing with it immediately!!!!! As her apprehension changed for fear to ecstasy, I knew we made the right choice!!!!! Her favorite part....the sounds it makes right after she pushes the button...she says it makes her feel like a "real" photographer!!! hahaha

So by now you're asking...what did we get!!!

Adina...I may still be interested in your 10D when you get ready. Actually I should say...I WILL be interested...if I can afford it!!! ;)

Again thanx everyone for all your help... Here's the pic....
    Ken and Kim!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And the winner is....-kims-pentax-pr.jpg  
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: And the winner is....

Congratulations on the new toy Ken. Oh wait, I mean Kim!!!
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Now the big question, who will be first to post a photo taken with that camera?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Now the big question, who will be first to post a photo taken with that camera?
    Well, actually, I only plan to use it enough so that I can teach her how to use it...so hopefully, I can get her over her fear of posting real quick. She warmed to the camera and shot about 40 shots while driving home (about an hour). So after I d/l them, we'll see if any of her first shots came out. If we have some good ones, I'll put them on!!!
    Ken
    Ken

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Well, besides us buying the Pentax, the kids went to Best Buy last night looking for an all in one p/s zoom...came home with the D50...hehe...this is the same daughter who traded me the Kodak for the video camera 3 years ago...think I'll get lucky again...trade the 8400 for the D50....hahaha...hmmmm...one can only hope!!!! hehehe
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Wise choice of body. There are a lot of old and very good Pentax mount lenses on the used market, they'll work on your new toy.

Wow, thank you. You made my day. ive been searching for an actual Non-stock photo of this camera for some time, and i happened to check the boards, and here it is! If you dont mind me asking, i have a few questions to intrupt on your thread about:
    1. How much did you pay for it?
    2. What lens is that?

I would be very excited to see some more pictures of the camera itself, since i am high considering buying this camera. Also, if you could put some comparsion pictures of how big it actuall is, that would be great aswell.

Thanks a lot..
    Dan

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi Dan...I don't mind...I paid $599 at The Camera Company in Madison, WI and the lens is the SMC DA 18-55mm w/lens hood attached. There are a couple of different kits you can get and I think the highest price I've seen is $699.00. Good luck..let us know what you decide. I really like the picture quality on this camera. There is still a lot that we have to learn, but that goes for anything new.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Ken, thanks for the reply. Would you mind putting up a few more pictures of the camera itself?

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hi LP...I'll be glad to put up a couple of pics. I've been under the weather for the past 4 or 5 days but am starting to feel better. I injured my back so have been taking it very easy and on top of that, I've had a touch of allergies and the flu. If I get to it, I'll try to get some on tomorrow, but by this weekend for sure.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LoudPicture
    Wow, thank you. You made my day. ive been searching for an actual Non-stock photo of this camera for some time, and i happened to check the boards, and here it is! If you dont mind me asking, i have a few questions to intrupt on your thread about:
    1. How much did you pay for it?
    2. What lens is that?

I would be very excited to see some more pictures of the camera itself, since i am high considering buying this camera. Also, if you could put some comparsion pictures of how big it actuall is, that would be great aswell.

Thanks a lot..
    Dan
    Hi Dan...if the pictures show up, I've got about 6 I was going to post...but I've been having troubles uploading photos. Anyway, I just purchased another *ist DL, this time from Dell computer. Also for $599.00. I was debating for the longest time over various brands, but finally decided to stick with what the wife is using so that we don't have to buy and learn 2 seperate systems. I love my Nikon CP8400, but after using the Pentax, I feel I really want/need to upgrade to a dslr. I also purchased the 70-200 zoom lens and a Sandisk 2 gb card. I think you'll like this camera if you get it. Now let me see if I can upload the pics (taken with the Nikon)...hehe...
    Ken

Nope...no pics...I will get ahold of PJ and find out whats going on.
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Pentax Forum Moderator

OK...got them to upload...I have 2 more to follow this post.
    Ken
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails And the winner is....-pentax-1-pr.jpg   And the winner is....-pentax-2-pr.jpg   And the winner is....-pentax-3-pr.jpg   And the winner is....-pentax-4-pr.jpg  
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Ken, thank you so much for the pictures, i really appreciate it. I too have now decided on this camera, i just wanted to see something non-stock before i go ahead and decide for good. It seems like a really great camera. So again, thank you.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Great...we'll have one more "P*istolero" in the fold!!! hehe..
    Ken
    Ken

Nikon Samurai #20

Ken,

Thanks to your info I too have decided to go the Pentax route. It was a tough choice between it and the D50. What sold me was the price difference in the used lense market.

I do have a question for you though. Did you hold a D50 and if so what is your opinion in the quality of the feel between the two?

I held a N50 today at lunch. I had held a Canon Rebel XT in the past, and also held one at lunch today. The Canon was not as plastic/toy feeling as I remember them being, but this is a few generations ago. The Nikon to me only felt slightly better in the plastic/toy feel and that surprised me. What I did not like about the Canon was I could never find the shutter release. With the Nikon I hit it every time without looking. The Canon I had to make a conscious effort to stretch my finger to the front of the camera to hit it. That annoyed me.

Anyway, your opinion of plastic/toy comparison between the D50 and the Pentax would be great.

Thanks,

Tim

Thread Information