Why Go To DSLR?

Printable View

• 07-11-2010, 02:13 PM
    dseigel2
    Re: Why Go To DSLR?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol
    You don't need to purchase APS lens to fit your D80, you could already be getting full frame glass and using it cropped.

What he meant by system was (I think) the range and variety of accessories, and the proprietary standards that tie a lot of gear together.

It is true that I don't HAVE to buy the 'APS' lenses, but they ARE a lot less expensive. But I do agree about the other accessories: I won't have to replace my flash which is dedicated to Nikon because it will also work on a Nikon DSLR with larger sensor.
  • 07-11-2010, 03:07 PM
    gryphonslair99
    [QUOTE]
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dseigel2
    It is true that I don't HAVE to buy the 'APS' lenses, but they ARE a lot less expensive.

Unless you upgrade to a full frame body in the future, then you have wasted money.

Quote:

But I do agree about the other accessories: I won't have to replace my flash which is dedicated to Nikon because it will also work on a Nikon DSLR with larger sensor.
    For me it is simple:

Point and shoot if you want to take pictures and not worry about additional gear or think about the future, but rather are living for the now.

DSLR if you plan on doing more with this over a period of time and do plan for the future. Buying a point and shoot is buying a camera. Buying a DSLR is buying a system. For today and beyond.
  • 07-11-2010, 03:40 PM
    Anbesol
    [QUOTE=gryphonslair99]
    Quote:

Unless you upgrade to a full frame body in the future, then you have wasted money.
    Full frame glass on an APS crop body still has a major advantage with sweet spot. Its the edges of the image circle where image performance is at its worst, and on a full frame crop lens you don't use those borders. It does sacrifice range, and its heavier and bigger, so I think I understand your sentiment - but it does have its unique advantage and far from being 'wasted money'.
  • 07-12-2010, 06:09 AM
    OldClicker
    [QUOTE=gryphonslair99]
    Quote:

The APS lens will give you the same image on a full frame body as it does on an APS body. If it was good before, it's still good.

[QUOTE=gryphonslair99]
    Quote:

For me it is simple:

Point and shoot if you want to take pictures and not worry about additional gear or think about the future, but rather are living for the now.

DSLR if you plan on doing more with this over a period of time and do plan for the future. Buying a point and shoot is buying a camera. Buying a DSLR is buying a system. For today and beyond.
    To me, it's not nearly that simple. With the excellent IQ gear available from the cheapest P&S through the most expensive full 'pro' kit and with the vastly different needs of the individuals, I don’t see any such differentiation. Many DSLR buyers are simply looking for the flexibility and will never use anything but the kit lens. Especially, with the new EVIL/ILC systems filling the gap between the true DSLR and the high end fixed lens, the hardware difference is also gone.

Terry
  • 07-12-2010, 04:42 PM
    gryphonslair99
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldClicker

The APS lens will give you the same image on a full frame body as it does on an APS body. If it was good before, it's still good.

Terry

Except that on some systems the APS/EF-s mount will not fit a FF body. If you want to modify the mount to make it fit you can do so at your expense and risk. Whereas a FF lens will fit an APS/EF-s body as is. Also with a APS/EF-s lens on a FF body you get vignetting since the APS/EF-s does not produce the same amount film plane/sensor area of coverage.
  • 07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
    OldClicker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gryphonslair99
    Except that on some systems the APS/EF-s mount will not fit a FF body. If you want to modify the mount to make it fit you can do so at your expense and risk. Whereas a FF lens will fit an APS/EF-s body as is. Also with a APS/EF-s lens on a FF body you get vignetting since the APS/EF-s does not produce the same amount film plane/sensor area of coverage.

Only Cannon won't fit, correct? I believe he has a Nikon. I know the only problem with Sony/Minolta is that the FF bodies automatically crop to APS-C when you could probably get more.

Yes, it may vignette, but you still get at least the same image once the vignette is cropped.

Terry
  • 07-13-2010, 02:35 PM
    Anbesol
    Yes Nikon and Sony APS lens do work on full frame as a crop. The EF-S series has the rear element further back for closer backfocus, which is unique to canon and why their APS lens don't work on full frame.
  • 07-13-2010, 05:21 PM
    dseigel2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Especially, with the new EVIL/ILC systems filling the gap between the true DSLR and the high end fixed lens, the hardware difference is also gone.

Terry

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an EVIL/ILC system?
  • 07-13-2010, 06:10 PM
    Anbesol
    "Electronic Viewfinder Interchangeable Lens". They are basically the same thing as DSLR's without the pentaprism and optical viewfinder, at least, from a sensor size/focal plane standpoint. They don't have the same lens selection as DSLRs, but the short back-focus affords the lens' to be built smaller and more compact. The difference is very similar to the difference between an SLR and a rangefinder.
  • 11-09-2010, 09:05 PM
    daviidwilson
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    A contrarian's view :)
    A DSLR will ///
    - cost much more
    - weigh far more
    - take up more space in your bag
    - get dust in it when you change lenses
    - be a pain to clean internally (if you dare)
    - require return to the manufacturer to clean (if you don't dare)
    + work in lower light *
    + have higher ISO settings **
    + take photos when you press the button ***
    + start immediately ****

* My Minolta A1 P&S focussed in lower light than the Canon 300D
    ** at the same ISO setting, a DSLR shoudl have less noise than a P&S
    *** But my A1 also does that ... IF you pre-focus and use Manual mode
    **** on the 20D certainly, not sure anout the 300 and 350

You may find you carry a DSLR less often than your P&S :)

Is there something you want to do that your Coolpix wont let you? If you're Coolpix is limiting what you want to do then I would consider stepping up to a DSLR, but until then, I would keep shooting with what you have.
  • 12-08-2010, 11:11 AM
    stevebon
    To be honest the question I would ask is: 'Why stick with film?'
  • 02-06-2011, 08:34 PM
    Baldie
    I've been a P&S user for years, but wanted the option to tweak my shots as using a P&S got a little boring for me. After a couple months of researching and saving, I recently upgrade to a DSLR (Canon T2i) with a EF-S 55-250mm lens. I'm still learning this camera but pics in "auto" mode alone are amazing, you totally see the difference between a DSLR shot vs a P&S shot. I was/am also using a casio Exilim 10mp camera. You'll spend hundreds for a DSLR set-up that you like, but its an investment towards better quality photos/video's for the long run, especially if you like taking pics of your family/vacations/etc. You can be more creative with a DSLR. Photos are snapshots in your life that sometimes never happen again. When you upgrade a DSLR, you buy lenses to your liking, and your more likely to get a far better value later on your used DSLR equipment vs a P&S. P&S used to be the way to go because of portability, but I found on recent trips that more people were taking pics with DSLR's than P&S.
  • 06-05-2011, 06:59 PM
    dylanpipe
    I'm pretty pumped to upgrade to a DSLR, they seem the do everything camera
  • 06-06-2011, 10:58 AM
    Anbesol
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dylanpipe View Post
    I'm pretty pumped to upgrade to a DSLR, they seem the do everything camera

Nah, they only do as much as the attached lens lets them.
  • 06-06-2011, 01:25 PM
    poker
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anbesol View Post
    Nah, they only do as much as the attached lens lets them.

Nah, they only do as much as the photographic talent of the person using the camera.
  • 06-06-2011, 05:53 PM
    Anbesol
    Quote:

Originally Posted by poker View Post
    Nah, they only do as much as the photographic talent of the person using the camera.

Nah, thats an open and free limitation that is constantly changing, and only abstractly measurable. A lens actually is the technical limitation of a camera. All the talent in the world isn't going to fill the frame with the moon on a 50mm lens. Unless your talent is flying into space ;)
  • 06-09-2011, 07:34 PM
    maplestreet
    Nah,

I really have nothing to add I just wanted to get in on saying "Nah" :)
  • 08-08-2011, 11:43 PM
    garfy2008
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coachgns View Post
    I've recently begun to do some serious (but amateur) photography, and am thinknig of "upgrading" to a DSLR. But I'd like to know WHY - will I get more from it.

I have been using a Nikon Coolpix 8800 for a couple of years. Other than being very slow writing on the cards when shooting large pics, I like the results I'm getting. It has 8 megs, and a 10X zoom. Also decent Macro.
    A large electronic swivel viewfinder, and a fairly large lens.

I like taking nature, cityscapes & people. Not doing sports or portraits at this time.

So if I go to a DSLR, what will I get that I don't have with this?

Thanks

For me, I went to the DSLR for the flexibility and the fast shooting/writing cycles. I can put it into multi-shot mode where it will take 3 shots per second (of course you have to use a high-speed card). I like the fact that it has a traditional viewfinder and unlike a rangefinder, what you see is actually what you get since you're looking through the lens itself. Many of the new DSLRs also allow you to use the display to frame the shot if you're accustomed to that from using the P&S and want to continue doing that. The greatest thing is the ability to change lenses so you have a plethora of different lenses that can be used with the camera. If it's a "name-brand" model, you'll not only have the OEM's lenses to choose from, but also many of the quality aftermarket lenses as well. Most DSLRs also have the same kinds of auto settings as your P&S; scene selections, Programmed, aperture priority, shutter priority, full manual, and the like. By acquiring an external flash unit, you can also extend the range of your shooting; instead of being limited to 10 feet or so with the built-in flash, you can shoot upwards of 60 feet or more with a good lens and powerful flash unit. Flexibility is the name of the game here. The biggest drawback to DSLRs in this realm of course, is the size. It definitely won't be as convenient as a P&S that fits in your shirt pocket, but the results are worth it.
  • 08-09-2011, 10:26 AM
    Anbesol
    Actually you don't need a high speed card to achieve 3fps. In fact, you can use the slowest card on the planet and still achieve 3 fps. Because it immediately writes the files to the image buffer, not the memory card. The speed of the memory card isn't relevant in cycle time process until the image buffer is full and starts writing off to it, which is usually something like 20 raws or 40 jpegs, variable depending on camera model.

A "name brand" model? OEM is not the right word for it, rather, first party. That said, ALL brands are "name brands", even though some people may think Canon and Nikon are the only ones, they have some stellar competition as well.

You can get point and shoots with a hot shoe. The benefit to adding light is more so being able to change the angle of light source so its not pan-flat as you get with stock flash.
  • 09-16-2011, 12:45 PM
    daveharris118
    Compared to what coachgns? The 8800 is already a high-end camera in my opinion - I guess it just depends on what your price range is. In a similar price range look at the Pentax K-5 which I've really enjoyed using.
  • 10-11-2011, 12:39 PM
    MikeMcKay
    I'm new to using Digital SLR for still/product photogrpahy
    Hey everyone,

I'm Mike McKay out of New York, New York

I got a DSLR for film making and have now gotten a job doing photography. I just need to know some pointers, lighting especially, on taking pictures of consumer goods. I own a Switronix Torch LED BOLT, it is the only light I own right now.

Here are the specs for the light

Color Temperature: 3000K-6000K
    Illumination: Approx. 1800LUX(3200K, 1m), 2000LUX(5600K, 1m), combined over 200w output equivalent
    Weight: 1.15lbs.
    Electrical Consumption: 16w
    Power Supply: DC 7.2V-16.8V, Sony DV Battery
    Light Adjustment: PWM (pulse width modulation)
    Dimming Range: 5%-100%

If anyone can give me advice and not be a total elitist about it, I do realize I'm new at this but any help would be awesome.
  • 10-11-2011, 01:40 PM
    Anbesol
    pics of consumer goods, requires an attention to the texture detail, opacity, and reflectivity of the object. Depending on the texture is how you decide how to position the light, and the type of illumination. A tent is a common trick as a do-all photo kit, but it is limited. With some rich textures, it is good to have a single and small area light source, raise the fine details of the texture.

I don't know what kind of light that is, but my guess is it may need to be manual only, with no auto ttl metering. Meaning, you control the power output, which is ideal anyway. If you want to make do with just one light, get some reflectors and diffuser panels, or build them.
  • 10-28-2011, 09:36 PM
    Boher
    Allow one to have the image saved as data on a cpu, furthermore sucsessible to deferent degrees of image manipulation, never forgating speed as well. you look what you got - ASP
  • 01-20-2012, 11:25 PM
    Levi1990
    I think most of these guys have said it already.

You get better image quality, better lenses to suit your shooting needs, and just better overall control of your camera. Such as shutter speeds, aperture, and ISO ranges. Some point and shoot cameras allow you to change all this, but most don't and that's where a DSLR falls into play.

Not to mention all the fun filters you get to use. So I would say, yes, it's worth upgrading to a DSLR.
  • 02-11-2012, 04:10 PM
    khmerxbxbxboi
    BEST WE LOVE DIGITAL.. I always want to know whats next??? affter Digital???
  • 04-27-2012, 08:26 PM
    hjstech50
    DSLR gives you the control and flexibility to handle the many different situations you want to capture. Sometimes that translates into the variety of camera settings and sometimes the lens you choose but when they come together just right, you're rewarded with an incredible image.
  • 05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
    masjojon
    Thx for share
  • 05-11-2012, 09:53 AM
    masjojon
    Quote:

pics of consumer goods, requires an attention to the texture detail, opacity, and reflectivity of the object. Depending on the texture is how you decide how to position the light, and the type of illumination. A tent is a common trick as a do-all photo kit, but it is limited. With some rich textures, it is good to have a single and small area light source, raise the fine details of the texture.

I don't know what kind of light that is, but my guess is it may need to be manual only, with no auto ttl metering. Meaning, you control the power output, which is ideal anyway. If you want to make do with just one light, get some reflectors and diffuser panels, or build them.

I agree with you
  • 07-13-2012, 11:18 AM
    Old man  big kid
    For someone who last owned an slr camera some 30 years ago, together with all the associated gear, bulk film (fp4, HP5 etc) and all the dark room equipment and chemicals, my new DSLR is amazing. With a 16GB card I now have the freedom to take 1000's of shots and process in the comfort of my studio in front of my Mac. I don't want to remember what it was like with film!
  • 11-19-2012, 08:50 PM
    volks
    Point and shoot cameras are great and take great pictures, however, many times by the time you power up your point and shoot camera, the moment is gone. Slow start-up until it's ready to shoot. dslr are ready to go in an instant.
  • 02-22-2013, 11:00 PM
    dinojeep
    Because i want the camera to take the pict when I press the button!
  • 06-06-2013, 06:14 AM
    FrankT
    I suspect DSLRs are the new trend..
  • 06-06-2013, 06:16 AM
    FrankT
    My first camera was the Nikon 4500 .. nice lasted me q few years
  • 09-14-2013, 07:46 PM
    clarkk
    good advice
  • 09-16-2013, 05:20 AM
    FrankT
    Quote:

there are TONS of differences - but I'd probably say the biggest one is ISO.

sure, other cameras offer you 800 or 1600. but my minolta 5D's noise looks better at 3200 then any digicams look at 400 or 800... optics too... of course.

agree this is a important factor
  • 11-28-2013, 07:02 PM
    Mossy
    I've been using a Sony NEX mirrorless for a couple years. Thinking about upgrading to a DSLR. First of all, am I upgrading and Why should I go to a DSLR?
  • 11-29-2013, 09:59 AM
    bitflogger
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coachgns View Post
    I've recently begun to do some serious (but amateur) photography, and am thinknig of "upgrading" to a DSLR. But I'd like to know WHY - will I get more from it.

I have been using a Nikon Coolpix 8800 for a couple of years. Other than being very slow writing on the cards when shooting large pics, I like the results I'm getting. It has 8 megs, and a 10X zoom. Also decent Macro.
    A large electronic swivel viewfinder, and a fairly large lens.

I like taking nature, cityscapes & people. Not doing sports or portraits at this time.

So if I go to a DSLR, what will I get that I don't have with this?

Thanks

IMO going to a SLR system would be comparing a multi-tool to having a work shop where the latter is ideal for big and specialized tasks.

The areas where you might get more out of the move might be image quality, shooting performance, image and video options that come from specific lenses or flash systems. You mention city scapes. A very fast or wide lens would be an example where SLR might be superior for that.
  • 02-15-2014, 04:48 AM
    shaddisi23
    IMO traveling to a SLR arrangement would be comparing a mufti-tool to accepting a plan boutique area the closing is ideal for big and specialized tasks.

The areas area you ability get added out of the move ability be angel quality, cutting performance, angel and video options that appear from specific lenses or beam systems. You acknowledgment city-limits escapes. A actual fast or advanced lens would be an archetype area SLR ability be above for that.
  • 02-17-2014, 01:47 AM
    Daniel Miller
    If you are a professional photographer and looking to take full control over images or have a deep passion for photography which you consider it a medium to arrest the golden moments of life, you must use a Digital Single Lens Reflex or DSLR camera. With plenty of handy features and specifications, digital cameras have become a rage among the modern day people.

'DSLR cameras have ‘through the lens’ viewfinders. Each of the DSLR cameras is compatible with different range of interchangeable lenses and camera accessories. However, they are more expensive and you have to pay the prices for body and lenses separately. Only a few digital SLR cameras have a fixed lens. These cameras allow the consumers to get complete manual control. The image quality of these cameras is much better than normal consumer cameras. DSLRs also have lot of auto modes making it easy to use for beginners.'
  • 05-28-2014, 08:55 PM
    Billybudwin
    I shot a full length indie film using a hacked Panasonic Gh1 (aka a GH13) and a Gh2 DSLR. Because the camera was so small and inconspicuous, I was able to shoot some cool time lapse footage with one of my actors around downtown Los Angeles without any permits. We did get stopped by two cops on segways but, they were really cool and said we could continue shooting as long as we stayed out of people's way. Ya gotta love the compact lightweight yet powerful design of DSLR cameras when it comes to making low budget indie films.