Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Firewire

DakotaJOhn

Firewire

I have a series of Olympus E-1 lessons on line, and it mentions using a firewire, to connect it to a laptop. Does that action give me a live view on the PC screen? If not, what does the firewire do that a usb cable won't?

Thanks

Re: Firewire

At the time that the Olympus E-1 came out, USB was only on version 1.0, so that's the version of USB that is supported by the E-1. Firewire was noticeably faster than USB 1.0, but all that Firewire will do is offer faster data transfer between the PC and the camera than USB 1.0. It won't give you live view on the screen.

USB 2.0 basically obsoleted Firewire, because it's faster and much cheaper. But the E-1 predates USB 2.0, so when you plug the USB cable into a PC which has USB 2.0, the data transfer rate drops down to the slower USB 1.0 data rate.

DakotaJOhn

Smile Re: Firewire

Thanks so much. My son bought an E-3, and gave me his E-1. The online manual is not a lot of help. But the web school lessons for the E-1 were helpful. I appreciate the quick response. Do wish the E-1 had a live view. But, I'll have to learn to use what I have.;

Thread Information