Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

When to buy a DSLR

Hello,

I am planning on purchasing a Pentax 200D this winter/spring, but I was wondering when the best time to buy was. I had read somewhere that new models come out in either March or May (cannot remember which) and that older models will drop in price then. Could anyone confirm when this occurs?

Thank you!

Re: When to buy a DSLR

The big spring camera tradeshow will take place this year in March. You are likely to start seeing price drops on some cameras then. However, if you wait, you won't have a camera to shoot with now. What's more important - saving a few bucks or getting photos now? I always encourage people to look at what they need and can afford now. I would rather be shooting than possibly saving some money. I think the photos I get now are probably worth more than any money I might save
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

We're not going to be using it until the start of May anyway, busy season at work has started, so we're willing to wait a couple of months to purchase it and save some money.

What was it that drew you to the K200D, if I may ask?

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamYoung
    We're not going to be using it until the start of May anyway, busy season at work has started, so we're willing to wait a couple of months to purchase it and save some money.
    If that's the case, then I think waiting until late March or April to buy will work out well for you. Cameras announced at the PMA tradeshow usually hit the streets starting at the end of March and beginning of April. Sometimes dealers get the word and start lowering prices before the new models are available, though. So you could start to see price drops as soon as late February.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Kentucky Wildlife

My main concern when buying a new camera is whether it will serve my needs for years. This, of course, is a little tricky because of how fast digital technology is advancing, but I've done a pretty good job of selection, so far. I've been through only three outfits in over 30years.
    My point, however, is I don't save much in the long run if I buy something I want to replace next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    What was it that drew you to the K200D, if I may ask?
    Our main uses for the camera will be backcountry camping and trave. As such, the Pentax K200D with it's extensive weather proofing and use of AA batteries (not many chargers out in the Canadian Boreal Forest) made it seem like the perfect camera for us. It's use of SD Plus, I hear it takes pretty decent pictures too Unfortunately, it is one of the more rare and pricier DSLR's in my area, hence the decision to wait until spring to purcahse it in the hopes of a price drop.

Ron Kruger: We have no intentions on replacing this camera anytime soon.

Photo-John: Thanks for the advice. And thank you for moving this to the proper forum. My apologizes for posting it in the wrong one to begin with.

I have a knack of purchasing things right before the new models come out. Laptops, iPods, phones, etc. The last iPod nano I bought, I purchased the night before the announcement was made for the new rainbow line. (Unfortunately I had mine engraved, so a return was out of the question.) So just watch me, and when I make a purchase, wait a month and then make yours.
    Drink Coffee. Do stupid things faster with more energy.

My personal opinion is that AA battery powered cameras are not the best buy now. Lithium Ion batteries in DSLR'S keep getting better and better. Most are now good for 750 shots or so. Double that if you use a battery pack. My Nikon D300 with battery pack is rated at over 2000 shots because I use the D3 battery option. How many images do you expect to take on one backpacking trip? Cold weather performance is also much better with Lithium Ion batteries.

Alkaline batteries "freeze" at around 0 degrees . If you buy the new Lithium Ion "AA" batteries you will pay about $2.50 usd EACH for them, {non rechargeable}. Could get rather expensive kinda quick if you take many images.

I am not familar with the Pentax system. I do know that third party lens offerings are not as numerous as for Nikon or Canon. Just look at the third party lens manufacturers charts to see for yourself. Personally, I think you would be better off with a good used Nikon or Canon, or maybe a new Sony. I think the A300 Sony would be an excellent choice for your needs. The A300 would be price competitive I think.

Good thinking to wait until spring to make a purchase. I recommend in the meantime you do some serious comparing of the different cameras. Don't just read the manufacturers hype, go to forums like this one and ask lots of questions of people that actually use the cameras, {continue what you just did}. There are lots of options available.

Thank you for your reply Ron Garett. We are still going to stick with AA batteries though. One backpacking for us = 7 days hiking through Algonquin Park, which means a lot of photos, a lot of turning on and off, a lot of reviewing pictures on the LCD screen, and zero ways to recharge our batteries.

The cost of buying AA batteries is an understandable consideration for most people, but not for me. I get my batteries for free. So, while for most people it may be cheaper in the long run to go lithium-ion, for me it is not. I'd have to buy additional batteries/battery pack - AA's I don't have to buy.

I have looked at the Sony, Nikkon, and Canon camera's (the Sony a200 was one we were considering as it is by far cheaper than any other camera with comparable specs in my area) but the main reason we settled on the Pentax was its weather seals. We are using it for interior camping. It's going to get roughed up a little, it's going to be in damp and dusty conditions, and, in another year or so, it's going to be doing quite a bit of international travelling. Hence, it's more rugged features are what drew us to the K200d.

The AA batteries and use of SD cards are great benefits to us, but they were not the main reasons behind our decision.

weather sealing! :thumbsup:

That's a big reason I went with Olympus...funny how that's a make-or-break feature for some users. A lot of people think it's a funny thing to find important.

Make sure to get weather sealed lenses too, I'm not sure which in the pentax line are sealed.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Have you also considered a camera that may have a battery grip?? I just bought my first dslr a canon rebel XS, it has the option to buy a vertical battery grip that holds two canon batteries or 6 AA batteries. This camera may not be to your liking but others may have that option.

I usually buy my DSLRs right AFTER their manufacturer has come out with the replacement model. That's when they are their best value. The new model will usually cost around 30-40% more than the old one, but only actually be around 10-20% better.

That's why I got a Nikon D80, after the Nikon D90 came out. The D80 dropped in price from $900 to $500 over the past year, and now the D90 body costs $900. It's a slightly better camera, but it's not anywhere near as much better as the price differential would imply.

I usually buy my DSLRs right AFTER their manufacturer has come out with the replacement model. That's when they are their best value. The new model will usually cost around 30-40% more than the old one, but only actually be around 10-20% better.
    That is, in my opinion, the best time. Not too late yet not too early.

I have a question, does the yen affect the prices a lot?
    I wish to learn all you can teach me about photography! :thumbsup:

Thread Information