• 09-08-2008, 12:52 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    What's your favorite D-SLR brand?
    Hi,

What is your preferred Digital SLR brand? If you don't have a favorite, then what is the manufacturer of your most-used D-SLR?

Responses to this thread are optional, but please vote in the poll.:)

I have not seen many websites that list the most popular brands, why not make PhotographyREVIEW.com one of the first?
  • 09-08-2008, 04:12 PM
    drg
    Re: What's your favorite D-SLR brand?
    It might be more accurate to associatie Fujifilm with Nikon as they share so many components and the Fuji D-SLR are really Nikons with a variation or two.

Similarly Pentax and the Samsungs are except for some particular branding features the same cameras as well.

A 4/3 entry could be a better polling item as many purchasers are basing their 'next camera' decision on that very item. Primarily the size and scaling/multiplication/crop factor associated with this format.

It will be interesting to see how this breaks down, though there is lots of data available as to sales and market representation by all the brands.
  • 09-09-2008, 12:03 AM
    Franglais
    Sigma and Samsung are not the same at all. Sigma uses the FOVEON sensor with Sigma's own lens mount.

Samsung and Pentax are almost identical

The Fuji bodies are made by Nikon but the sensor and image processor are quite different, as are the results. Nikon and Fuji is not the same.
  • 09-09-2008, 12:09 AM
    AgingEyes
    Quote:

The Fuji bodies are made by Nikon but the sensor and image processor are quite different, as are the results. Nikon and Fuji is not the same.
    Totally agree.

As someone who owns a Fujifilm S5 and a D300, I like to see them separated :D
  • 09-09-2008, 09:40 AM
    A.M.D.A.
    D-SLR polling items.
    Sorry if it upset you guys that I placed Samsung and Sigma together. I tried to order the D-SLR brands by popularity.

~If I placed Samsung with Pentax, we would never know which of those two manufacturers is the most popular. We can only assume that Pentax is above.

~If I placed Fujifilm with Nikon, it would be a similar result: For all we know, Fuji might be more popular than Nikon! Because I separated them, the viewer can accurately find out which is the preferred one of these two.

~Same with Olympus and 4/3rds: Olympus is far more popular than Panasonic and Leica are, so I gave it its own category.

~Sigma and Samsung aren't as common, so I put them together.
  • 09-09-2008, 11:07 AM
    Frog
    Of course, Nikon is my favorite brand because that's what I have. Have I tried all the brands and done objective testing? Nope.
  • 09-09-2008, 11:13 AM
    Canuck935
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    Of course, Nikon is my favorite brand because that's what I have. Have I tried all the brands and done objective testing? Nope.

Right. I suspect everyone is going to naturally vote for whichever system they happen to be using. Perhaps a better title for this thread is "What DSLR brand do you use?"
  • 09-09-2008, 01:52 PM
    AzMandella
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog

I have had both Nikon and Canon over the past 27 yrs. In high school I had a Nikon FM and a Canon Ftb. Both bodies were just as reliable and function was the same,but Nikon had the better quality lenses. Later I had a Canon F-1 that I bought because Canon was making better lenses with the begining of their L-series lenses. From about the late 80's till just a few years ago Canon's lenses were by far much better and far more variety. Since the digital revolution I think Canon blazed the trail in development. Especialy in the sensor and processor department. Also not to mention they invented the IS lenses. They actually first had them in their high end binoculars before camera lenses.

Nowadays I don't think you can go wrong with either Nikon or Canon as they both have about the same options available in the different consumer levals. But I think Canon set the benchmark with the 5D as far as full frame sensors for consumer availability. And I think Canon still offers a better assortment of lenses especially in the L series vs. Nikon's ED series.
  • 09-09-2008, 07:44 PM
    AgingEyes
    If Fujifilm makes a full-frame with the same or better dynamic range as the S5's, 12mp or more megapixel, and faster than 3 fps, I will seriously consider getting a full-frame Fuji instead of a Nikon.

Unfortunately, rumor has it that Fuji likely will not make any D-SLR anymore.
  • 09-25-2008, 02:45 PM
    gilliamhome
    I recall reading in reviews here - that, "What feels best in your hands, and is comfortable to use," will make the best choice of DSLR's for the user. I am partial to Olympus - most of you know that. I have learned to live with the 4/3rds format, and have not lost an opportunity to capture a scene and produce it to my desired edits and finishing. I am so grateful that I put down my film, processing and darkroom ways, and am head-over-heels in love with DIGITAL. I enjoy viewing here and seeing others develop their skills in this incredibly versatile and growing photographic community. Silver may always have a place, but will eventually have to share that place with new technology. Thanks for this ballot process.

- Tim :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
  • 09-26-2008, 09:07 AM
    MB1
    Hasselblad.
  • 10-02-2008, 04:56 AM
    Len J
    Any one that is being used to take pictures.

Len
  • 11-30-2008, 10:53 PM
    A.M.D.A.
    Well, I had voted "Don't own a D-SLR.".

Thought I'd now post an update, since I just received a Pentax *ist D a couple of days ago.:thumbsup:
  • 12-01-2008, 03:44 AM
    Orgnoi1
    I voted for Canon... but I use both Canon (mine) and Nikon (the girlfriends) and find really no difference in quality so it would be hard to say which is a "favorite"....
  • 12-28-2008, 08:18 AM
    Nats
    I dont know if Canon is my "favorite" or not, but it's the one I have :D
  • 01-19-2009, 09:38 PM
    hardingcreative.com
    Can I have two? Fuji and Nikon!
  • 01-20-2009, 07:00 AM
    rongarrett
    Dang poll won't let ya vote but for one choice. That's not how I work it. I own and use Fuji, Nikon, Canon, and Sony. which one I use depends on what I plan to shoot that day. For instance I use the Fuji S5 for animal portraits, mostly of horses.Canon for wildlife cuz I have a 400mm F2.8 lens w/1.4 tele adapter. And so on. I have more Nikon equipemnt than any other.

Having said the above, I use my Sony A350 if I am to be confronted with a lot of unknown opportunities cuz it is the most versital. Image IQ compares to Nikon D300, etc. Zeiss 16 -80 lens helps it out a lot too. I have a 70 - 400 Sony SSM lens ordered, so with just two lenses, I can be prepared for ANYTHING on those "unknown opportunities" days.

Don't know if that's the answer you are looking for or not.