Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Nikon D60 or Canon XSi?

My wife overpaid for a Nikon D60 just after Christmas so I returned it. Now we are going to replace it with either a Canon XSi or Nikon D60. This time the D60 comes in a kit with VR 18-55mm zoom, VR 55-200mm zoom, Nikon gadget bag, and 1gb sandisk card. This kit is cheaper then what my wife paid for the D60 + VR 18-55mm zoom.

The question is as the Canon XSi with the just the 18-55mm lS lens is the same price, without the gadget bag, is it worth it to get the XSi?
    Last edited by Stephensong; 01-19-2009 at 01:02 PM.
    Gary - Displaced New Yorker
    K20D, 18-55mm & 50-200mm kit lenses

Re: Nikon D60 or Canon XSi?

If it were equal packages, I'd go for the Canon. But if the kit you're looking at really has the two lenses you specified, and you're buying it from a reliable dealer (please see our Dealer Feedback forum), then I'd definitely buy the Nikon over the Canon. The truth is, either camera will serve you well. There are no bad digital SLRs. But the second lens and memory card make the Nikon a more powerful kit and a better value. But please - be careful who you buy from. Shopping for cameras by price on the Internet is very dangerous!
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I am going with the Nikon and the dealer is Costco. I can walk in and buy the product without a problem. Thanks for your advice.
    Gary - Displaced New Yorker
    K20D, 18-55mm & 50-200mm kit lenses

Quote Originally Posted by Stephensong
    I am going with the Nikon and the dealer is Costco. I can walk in and buy the product without a problem. Thanks for your advice.
    Can't go wrong with Costco. Happy to help

Please come back and write a review for whatever camera you end up buying. User reviews are the foundation of PhotographyREVIEW.com. Your Nikon D60 review would be a welcome addition.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information