• 08-30-2007, 04:08 AM
    mai
    Whats the difference between a Digital slr and a 35mm slr?
    when i rigister in...it asked me what kind of camrea i got...n i didnt know what a 35mm camera was...so what is it?
  • 08-30-2007, 05:08 AM
    mjs1973
    Re: Whats the difference between a Digital slr and a 35mm slr?
    Welcome to the site.

A 35mm camera used film to capture the image. A digital camera doesn't use film. It uses a digital sensor to capture the image.
  • 08-31-2007, 08:47 AM
    Jumpseat
    Wow, what a scary question. To think that I am old enough to remember what a 35mm SLR is. I have had several such experiences. One was when one of my fellow airline pilots told me he had never flown an airplane with a propeller. Another when discussing live concerts I mentioned that I have seen Hendrix, The Beatles, Cream, and Jefferson Airplane and a young guy at the table said, “Gee, I wish I had been alive to see them.” So, now it’s going to be, “What was it like to shoot 35mm film?”?. Oh, God, do I dare tell them that I remember shooting 620?
  • 08-31-2007, 08:54 AM
    mn shutterbug
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jumpseat
    Wow, what a scary question. To think that I am old enough to remember what a 35mm SLR is. I have had several such experiences. One was when one of my fellow airline pilots told me he had never flown an airplane with a propeller. Another when discussing live concerts I mentioned that I have seen Hendrix, The Beatles, Cream, and Jefferson Airplane and a young guy at the table said, “Gee, I wish I had been alive to see them.” So, now it’s going to be, “What was it like to shoot 35mm film?”?. Oh, God, do I dare tell them that I remember shooting 620?

Hey you old geezer, what in the world is 620? I know what 645 is but don't recollect ever hearing of 620.
  • 08-31-2007, 09:06 AM
    Photo-John
    Good Question
    Mai-
    Don't let these geezers embarass or intimidate you with their knowledge of outdated and worthless photography equipment. I think a couple of them learned with glass plates. It's true, SLRs used to use 35mm roll film. I learned with one and have owned a bunch. But I haven't used one for years. Once I got a digital SLR, there was no looking back. Although us old guys will ocassionally wax nostaligiac for the old days and old equipment, digital is better and you need not concern yourself with antiques like 35mm SLRs, unless you're interested in history. We're really all here to learn to be better photographers, regardless of the equipment we use. So whether you've got a $5000 digital SLR (mine is a doorstop) or a camera phone, we're here for you. Glad to have you and hope you stick around and show us the world through your young eyes :)
  • 08-31-2007, 09:20 AM
    Xia_Ke
    Re: Good Question
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    ...you need not concern yourself with antiques like 35mm SLRs, unless you're interested in history...

Hey now John! OUCH! :p While it's true you can get perfectly good shots from digitals, film is an art that I (as well as at least one other member here) am very happy to have recently discovered :thumbsup: Regardless of your medium, just have fun shooting and welcome aboard here at PR. Looking forward to seeing some of your shots :)

Happy Shooting,
    Aaron
  • 08-31-2007, 09:24 AM
    mjs1973
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mn shutterbug
    Hey you old geezer, what in the world is 620? I know what 645 is but don't recollect ever hearing of 620.

Hahaha, I just shot 3 rolls of 620 on my trip out west at the begining of this month, and I'm ONLY 33!

Six-20 film is the exact same size as 120 film. The only differance is the size of the spool. The center of the spool on 620 is much smaller than the 120 spool. Kodak (for whatever reason) changed the spool size and rendered most of the 620 cameras as paperweights. If you want, you can respool 120 film onto 620 spools and continue to use 620 cameras.
  • 08-31-2007, 09:42 AM
    mn shutterbug
    You young upstarts think you know everything, don't you? :wink:

Thanks for the explanation.
  • 08-31-2007, 01:12 PM
    Jumpseat
    Here, Here, John. I couldn’t agree with you more. But “Geezers”?!!

Actually, I just took the MF out today to check some light seal work and couldn’t help but think that a new D3 is looking better and better.

Welcome aboard Mai. I intended no offense with my reply. There are no bad questions and a lot of experienced people here. Just please forgive some of us “Geezers” (thank you John & Mike) for joking around a little.

I’ve seen photos of you John, and you aren’t too far from geezerhood yourself.

I've also shot 828, 126 and 127. Oh yeah, 110 and fotodisk too. Good heavens, maybe I am a geezer.
  • 08-31-2007, 02:22 PM
    Frog
    I've used a crank phone!
  • 08-31-2007, 02:36 PM
    Jumpseat
    Oh no, Frog. Geezers; every where you look. The old minds just drift and you see how far off topic we get. Well, don’t worry, Mai, we’ll all fall asleep soon.

I paid 34 cent per gallon for gasoline!

Please, tell me this isn’t going to become a competition.

• 09-04-2007, 06:19 AM
    Glasstream15
    Crank phone? Operator saying "Number Please". And the number is 3 digits. YES ONLY3!!!

Box Brownies, not the chocolate stuff you eat, Leica IIIs, Rollies using 120 film with an external flash sync, and the WOW factor when those first SLRs with absolutely NO automation first came out. And I have used, not recently, 5X7 view cameras and 4X5 Speed Graphics with, of all things, flashbulbs!, Can you imagine??

Actually, I did get used to auto-exposure, after using the first built in systems which were match needle, but still not to sure about auto-focus because I can generally do it faster and more accurately in manual.

But then, I am a GreatGrandfather. I guess I truly am a "geezer".
  • 09-04-2007, 07:40 AM
    readingr
    OH! the good old days - where have they all gone (Glass, silver mixed in a solution and hand painted on the glass, then all those hoods, darkrooms and chemicals, box brownies, instamatics, throw away flash bulbs)

THANK GOD for Digital and no chemicals :lol:

Roger
  • 09-04-2007, 08:17 AM
    fx101
    Quote:

Originally Posted by readingr
    OH! the good old days - where have they all gone (Glass, silver mixed in a solution and hand painted on the glass, then all those hoods, darkrooms and chemicals, box brownies, instamatics, throw away flash bulbs)

THANK GOD for Digital and no chemicals :lol:

Roger

...and no cancer from accidentally ingesting those chemicals :D.
  • 09-04-2007, 03:56 PM
    Glasstream15
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fx101
    ...and no cancer from accidentally ingesting those chemicals :D.

In a whole lot of years using those chemicals for photography and X-Ray, I never ingested any. No cancer from never ingesting those chemicals.

And besides, Hypo is an antidote for cyanide.
  • 09-05-2007, 12:42 AM
    readingr
    My friend used to store his in "Newcastle Brown" Bottles (English Beer bottles which he was partial too) and on one occasion we nearly took a swig, but the smell gave the chemicals away.

Stopped drinking that beer in the darkroom :lol:

Roger
  • 09-05-2007, 05:54 AM
    mwfanelli2
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Glasstream15
    Crank phone? Operator saying "Number Please". And the number is 3 digits. YES ONLY3!!!

You knew this was coming...

What? You had phones when you were a kid? You even had cranks? (your "crank" joke here). Youngster!
  • 09-05-2007, 08:25 AM
    readingr
    Mai,

I forgot to welcome you to the forum.

Were a mad bunch but more than willing to help you (that is if you need help).

Get posting regardless of what camera you have and have fun - we do.

Roger