Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

D300 - new lenses

I bought a D300 (digital rebel) this summer and I am quiet happy with it (the camera is certainly not the limiting factor). However, I would like to replace the 18-55 lens that came with it, mostly because I had an accident with it, and i'll use the excuse to upgrade ;)

Given a budget of USD 400-600, is it possible to buy two ok quality lenses?
    Most important, I would like one general-purpose lens (not too different from the 18-55 I guess, less zoom is ok) and one with some zoom. If I can't have both for this price, the former is certainly more important.

I tried reading through the reviews, but honestly, they mean very little for me. I would appreciate some suggestions (specific lenses I should consider), and then I can compare those to the reviews.

Re: D300 - new lenses

you should look at the new 17-85 IS lens as it is a zoom that will give you more range ( the equivalent of a 28-135) as well as much better picture quality, this lense is right around $600.00 US dollars. You could also get the 28-135 IS as well as a 50 f1.8 for about $500.00 US dollars. What kind of shooting do you do? Do you need wide angle? If so the 17-85 might be your best bet.

Re: D300 - new lenses

EDIT: Sorry, I'm a bit sleepy today, I realized afterwards that you're saying the 17-85 IS probably is all I need (?), so that fits nicely.

That's 600 + 600 = 1200

I don't do any particular kind of shooting really, http://www.kepp.net/gallery/ will show you just what level I am on ;) Most of those aren't even taken with the SLR. I mostly take pictures while walking around the city, pretty natural stuff I come and across and parties.

Actually, the reason I'm thinking about the zoom lens is that, in my opinion, most people have better smiles when they don't realize there is a camera nearby.

I other words, I don't think I need a huge range.
    Last edited by arkepp; 11-07-2004 at 02:51 PM.

Thread Information