• 03-29-2004, 02:19 PM
    racingpinarello
    What type of backup to get for the Mark2.
    I wanted to get your feedback on a possible backup to my new Canon. I'm stuck on whether I should get a film or a digital back up. Once I use up my 35mm velvia, I will probably sell my Nikon equipment (f100, 24mm, 28mm, and 50mm).

After which, I will no longer have a back up to my one 35mm Mark2. If you had a Mark2, would you need a backup? What would you choose?

I am leaning toward either a 10D, an used 1D, or shooting with an EOS 3, or V (film). Perhaps even the Kodak version.

How do you choose your backup? Some would use two of the same camera, etc?

Loren
  • 03-29-2004, 02:53 PM
    Asylum Steve
    Depends...
    Loren,

I've been using the 10D for some time now, and like a lot of folks here, like it a lot...

I don't see myself being able to afford another DSLR in the immediate future, so in that sense, when I'm doing commercial shoots, I'm working "without a net".

Still, I haven't had any anxiety over this. Yet. My backup, if you could call it that, is my EOS film SLR. At this point, my mindset is so digital, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable switching to film at the last minute if something went wrong with my DSLR, but it would be much better than ditching the shoot.

I also carry an ELPH S400 with me all the time, and believe it or not, I think I could actually use this baby in a pinch... :D

Anyway, in a perfect world, or actually because it's an IMPERFECT world, I would always have backup. I think the 10D makes an excellent digital backup to your Mark2, but if it were me, I'd have a film camera with me too...

Quote:

Originally Posted by racingpinarello
    I wanted to get your feedback on a possible backup to my new Canon. I'm stuck on whether I should get a film or a digital back up. Once I use up my 35mm velvia, I will probably sell my Nikon equipment (f100, 24mm, 28mm, and 50mm).

After which, I will no longer have a back up to my one 35mm Mark2. If you had a Mark2, would you need a backup? What would you choose?

I am leaning toward either a 10D, an used 1D, or shooting with an EOS 3, or V (film). Perhaps even the Kodak version.

How do you choose your backup? Some would use two of the same camera, etc?

Loren

• 03-29-2004, 02:59 PM
    Sebastian
    Steve makes an excellent point. I am strongly considering making a new or used Elan 7 my backup. Similar feel as my 10D, but FULL FRAME!!!! And for under 300 bucks no less... :D

I am partially looking at it because I REALLY miss using the wide end of my 17-40.
  • 03-29-2004, 03:11 PM
    racingpinarello
    I can relate to film...
    I think that going to a film back up will be best since I still shoot film on travel scenes. While I wish I could get away and buy an Elan 7, but I will probably get the Canon EOS 3.

The Elan 7, sorry Canon users, is not built very well. I love my F100 so mabye I can just buy an extra zoom lens and use that as the back up but that doesn't make a lot of sense.

As I ponder...

You're right, It's nice having full frame and having that option to shoot my favorite Velvia or Astia film. Plus the cost of the EOS 3 would be the same as I can get for the F100 and lenses. A 10D or 20D or whatever model will come out tomorrow to replace it, will be a creditable future purchase.

Thank you very much,
    Loren
  • 03-29-2004, 04:30 PM
    Michael Fanelli
    Or...
    The discontinued 1D will be pretty cheap soon. Think about a new one or a used one as a backup. This will provide you with a high degree of consistency.
  • 03-29-2004, 07:57 PM
    Photo-John
    I've been through this before
    When I bought my 1D I kept my EOS 3 as a backup for a year. Guess what? After I started using the 1D I had no interest in using the EOS 3, let alone keeping a stock of film available when I went to shoot an event. Plus, I like the quality of the digital SLR a lot more than 35mm film. It was just a matter of time before I convinced myself I needed a digital backup.

So after about a year of using on the 1D, I sold my EOS 3 and invested in a 10D. I would have liked a second 1D, but couldn't afford it. I also rationalized that the 10D would make a good compliment to my 1D. It's lighter, has a larger digital crop factor, and it's got more resolution than the 1D. Overall, I think I made the right decision. I found that I would shoot with a long lens on the 10D and a wide lens on the 1D and pretty much use both at the same time. And the smaller size and weight of the 10D was a definite benefit. I took the 1D on a serious mountain bike ride - once. It's too heavy and too expensive. The 10D is a great compromise for the trail. And as far as image quality goes, it's no compromise at all. While I have no complaints about the 1D's image quality. I do think the CMOS sensor is better.

I'm not sure what's right for you. Michael mentioned consistency. I actually think that for consistency's sake, the 10D might be better than the 1D. Sure, the controls are a little different. But the 10D's CMOS sensor should deliver closer image quality to the Mark II. And I would worry about the 4 megapixel files from the 1D seeming too small compared to the Mark II. Plus, there's that compliment thing. I know you've been thinking about doing some fly fishing photography. I'd rather pack a 10D than my 1D. It's a lot smaller and lighter. It really makes a difference.
  • 03-29-2004, 09:22 PM
    Asylum Steve
    I know what you mean...
    Everything you say makes perfect sense, John. Like I said, I would love to have two DSLRs...

As it is, I have the EOS 1vhs, and I keep all my bodies in the same Pelican case, so it's with me when I work. I can't say that I would go out and buy a film SLR if I didn't already have one...

The thing is, when you do commercial jobs, you start to get paranoid about absolute worst case senarios. To me, a few rolls of film in the bag is cheap peace of mind... :cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    When I bought my 1D I kept my EOS 3 as a backup for a year. Guess what? After I started using the 1D I had no interest in using the EOS 3, let alone keeping a stock of film available when I went to shoot an event. Plus, I like the quality of the digital SLR a lot more than 35mm film. It was just a matter of time before I convinced myself I needed a digital backup.

So after about a year of using on the 1D, I sold my EOS 3 and invested in a 10D. I would have liked a second 1D, but couldn't afford it. I also rationalized that the 10D would make a good compliment to my 1D. It's lighter, has a larger digital crop factor, and it's got more resolution than the 1D. Overall, I think I made the right decision. I found that I would shoot with a long lens on the 10D and a wide lens on the 1D and pretty much use both at the same time. And the smaller size and weight of the 10D was a definite benefit. I took the 1D on a serious mountain bike ride - once. It's too heavy and too expensive. The 10D is a great compromise for the trail. And as far as image quality goes, it's no compromise at all. While I have no complaints about the 1D's image quality. I do think the CMOS sensor is better.

I'm not sure what's right for you. Michael mentioned consistency. I actually think that for consistency's sake, the 10D might be better than the 1D. Sure, the controls are a little different. But the 10D's CMOS sensor should deliver closer image quality to the Mark II. And I would worry about the 4 megapixel files from the 1D seeming too small compared to the Mark II. Plus, there's that compliment thing. I know you've been thinking about doing some fly fishing photography. I'd rather pack a 10D than my 1D. It's a lot smaller and lighter. It really makes a difference.

• 03-30-2004, 08:14 AM
    racingpinarello
    John is a convincing guy....
    After eating expensive hamburgers, and showing me the 10D last night I am probably going toward that camera as a backup. He made some good points about the sensor, the weight, and the overall approach to using the camera. Also, 6mp is closer to 8 and will be able to provide a 8x12 with reasonable print resolution.

So when I have the chance I will get that as a backup, and keep my Nikon F100/Mamiya 7 for when I need to shoot film. Also the camera feels very good and solid so I definitely not sacraficing build quality.

Loren