Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

What Nikkor lenses are OK for digital?

I just got a new Nikon D70s as a gift and it came with a AF-S DX Zoom -Nikkor ED 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF lens. My wife, who bought the kit was told that I really had to get the Digital lense(s) (is that the DX designation?) for this camera (by the way my first digital).

I have a Nikkor 70-300 ED, a Nikkor VR 80-400, a Nikkor 18-35 ED, and a Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8D lenses that I have used with my N80.

Will I get inferior images with these "non-digital" lenses? I think I understand about them increasing the effective focal length by 1.5 (which I was very excited about), but is there a significant downside? Sorry if this is a redundant topic, but trying to wade through the archives was too daunting a task.

Thanks,

PG

Re: What Nikkor lenses are OK for digital?

You will be fine with with the nikkors you already have. I don't think the digital recognition means that much in the long run.
    Hell, there are no rules here-- we're trying to accomplish something.
    Thomas A. Edison

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
    Thomas A. Edison

the digital, from my understanding, just gives you faster autofocus...

DX lenses will work only on a Nikon DSLR. Since the sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film, a DX lens doesn't have to project as big of an image to the sensor. This is more of an issue with wide lenses. People have mounted DX lenses on film cameras and found focal lengths that can be used with film (like the 12-24 above about 18 or 20mm), but the widest settings of DX lenses will give you dark corners and edges.

I have only one DX style lens, a Sigma 10-20mm that I literally got yesterday. For 2-1/2 years, I've only used non-DX style lenses and had great results. No problem using the lenses you already have, but the 18-35 is now redundant. You might want something wider - like the Sigma I bought or one of the others in that range.

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    DX lenses will work only on a Nikon DSLR. Since the sensor is smaller than a frame of 35mm film, a DX lens doesn't have to project as big of an image to the sensor. This is more of an issue with wide lenses. People have mounted DX lenses on film cameras and found focal lengths that can be used with film (like the 12-24 above about 18 or 20mm), but the widest settings of DX lenses will give you dark corners and edges.

I have only one DX style lens, a Sigma 10-20mm that I literally got yesterday. For 2-1/2 years, I've only used non-DX style lenses and had great results. No problem using the lenses you already have, but the 18-35 is now redundant. You might want something wider - like the Sigma I bought or one of the others in that range.
    To follow on with what AV has typed... Thus, the digital specific lens will be smaller because the image it projects is smaller. This may be an advantage.

Hey, a question for you.... How do you like that new wida angle? How's the lens distortion? A lens that size is the next thing on my list....

Cheers,
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchool
    Hey, a question for you.... How do you like that new wida angle? How's the lens distortion? A lens that size is the next thing on my list....
    Tim, it took me that long to pull the trigger on one - they all have their advantages. I liked the Nikkor but it's pricey; the Tokina is almost as good and I was ready to buy it when this one came out. Tamron has some really good lenses lately, but 11-18 is too narrow of a range for me - I now have a gap from 20-28mm which is bad enough. Being a fan of freakishly wide lenses, I had to have it. I looked thru a 14mm on a film body and it's a crazy perspective - this lens is almost the same angle of view but even more exaggerated perspective. I only had a chance to take a couple of quick snaps with it yesterday but I'll use it more this weekend hopefully.

The reviews here and other sites are amazingly good in regards to distortion for a lens with a 10mm focal length. Perfect for architecture? Probably not. But, it takes 77mm filters and focuses to about 9". Stop down to about f8 and I'll bet that the DOF is within an inch or two of the front element... Down side is that the front element and sensor will have to be very clean because all that dust will be in focus!

Thank you for the comments.

PG

Hey AV,
    Thanks for the review. I appreciate it.
    Tim
    Samurai #17 |;^\

Thread Information