Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

What are the major differences between digital and dslr's?

I was considering the IS1S and C-750.I've started looking at some dslr's.I need something good for action sports shots(like biking,nascar,and night time drag racing).I need something that works well in low light and easy to find lenses for.
    My main question without getting too technical,what's the difference between a digital camera and a digital SLR?
    If someone with a split personality threatens suicide,is it a hostage situation?

>what's the difference between a digital camera and a digital SLR?

The viewfinder makes a DSLR a SLR. This means most DSLRs have interchangeable lenses. For action most digicams are not fast enough in handling to cut it.

Uwe
    www.outbackphoto.com
    www.colors-by-nature.com

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ustein
    >what's the difference between a digital camera and a digital SLR?
    The viewfinder makes a DSLR a SLR. This means most DSLRs have interchangeable lenses. For action most digicams are not fast enough in handling to cut it.
    Uwe
    As a generalisation it's right, you would want a DSLR with a fast lens in preference to a digital camera without exchangeable lenses.
    I've managed to coerce the Dimage A2 to get some very good motorsport photos, but I'd rather not have to fight against my equipment!

So long as you remember for fast motorsport action even some DSLRs can't cut it.
    I found with the Canon EOS 300D that for fast speedway action it was necessary to pre-focus (and I also preset exposure) because autofocus with the kit lens wasn't good enough.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Shutter-lag

I don't think anyone has really addressed the most important part of your question yet. There are a bunch of differences between compact digital cameras and digital SLRs. The most important one for action photographers is that digital SLRs have negligible shutter-lag. That means that the amount of time between the moment you press the shutter release and when the picture is taken is not noticeable. Compact digital cameras keep getting better, but I don't think any are close to any digital SLR yet when it comes to shutter-lag. And the fastest digital SLRs, the Canon EOS 1D, 1D Mark II, and the Nikon D2H, have absolutely no distinguishable lag. That means that the photographer and not the camera is the limitation when it comes to timing photos.

Another important difference between compact digitals and digital SLRs is the size of the sensor. Even though there are 6 megapixel compact digital cameras, the image quality won't compare to a 6 megapixel digital SLR. That's because the size of the sensor, and each individual pixel, is much larger in a digital SLR. Larger pixels means, cleaner, richer, sharper information. Even with the same number of pixels, digital SLR image files are much nicer-looking than any compact digital camera.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I was considering the EOS300D or maybe the pentax.The eos I've found some good deals on,but the pentax takes AA batteries which I would rather have.
    If someone with a split personality threatens suicide,is it a hostage situation?

Pentax vs 300D

I haven't used the Digital Rebel, although I have an EOS 10D, which uses the same sensor. That sensor is excellent. However, the Pentax has better overall functionality and I love the small size. I had a *ist D for about a month and a half and I loved it. I think the image quality of the Digital Rebel is probably better. And Canon's AF is as good as it gets. But if you want a digital SLR to ride with, I think the Pentax is the best one right now.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thread Information