Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Focus Points.

Focus Points.

I am completely new to my camera but have a question that I cannot quite figure out, I hope I make sense. When I go to take a picture, sometimes the camera doesn't focus where I want it to, particularly when I take a picture of one of my children. Is there a button or setting I can put it on to have the WHOLE frame focused? Thanks in advance!

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Focus Points.

Which camera?
    Not sure but think most dslr will have focus options I use single point a lot but when things are busy I'll go to multi-point. In single point, I choose the most critical part of the photo I want in focus which in the case of people would be their eyes. I then hold my shutter half way to lock that focus and then compose.
    I saw your kids shots in the critique forum and they look pretty good. Choosing a wide aperture will throw either the background or foreground more out of focus. If you want more in focus you need to go with smaller aperture.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Chicagoland, IL, USA (transplanted canadian)

Quote Originally Posted by naleenasmom
    I am completely new to my camera but have a question that I cannot quite figure out, I hope I make sense. When I go to take a picture, sometimes the camera doesn't focus where I want it to, particularly when I take a picture of one of my children. Is there a button or setting I can put it on to have the WHOLE frame focused? Thanks in advance!
    You forgot to mention what type of camera your using, but I also run into that occasionally. Depending on the shot, sometimes I will just adjust the framing some, and get the part to focus on what I want it to (with a half button push) and while still holding the half-push then re -frame before completing the full push (this assumes your in single shot focus mode)

Most cameras will have a way to choose the focus point. Without knowing which camera we are talking bout, can't really give any direction, other than check the manual.
    Cheers,
    Greg

---
    Canon Digital Rebel XTi
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 XR Di II VC (new favorite)
    EF-S IS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III; EF 50mm f/1.8 II
    Sony CyberShot DSC-V1

Start here. http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials.htm

This will answer your specific question: http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm

Then buy or borrow this book. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Und.../9780817463007

Every photographer should have this in their collection.

Try focusing on the subject by holding the shutter half way down, compose the shot and then take the picture. Example. If I want to take a picture of a flower and I want it in the lower part of the picture. I will focus on the flower and by holding the shutter half way down and then compose the shot. If that makes since?
    I am like Barney Fife, I have a gun but Andy makes me keep the bullet in my pocket..

Sony a99/a7R

Thread Information