Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

I need some advice

I live in a small town and for some time I've been considering event photography...weddings, graduations, meetings etc. No one in the area does this and I'd like to do this as a side project to get some extra money. I'm an experienced videographer (5 years of professional work with various formats), but have only done a handful of photographic projects with borrowed cameras...my training is very limited. There aren't any 'real' photographers around, so I thought I'd be the first to take the time to learn and get some experience.

I have an opportunity to get a 10D cheap, or pay a little more and get a new Rebel XT. I just wanted to know what some opinions are out there as far as a comparison between the two cameras. Also, what lenses would you recommend for this type of work that I'd be doing. Thanks in advance.

Re: I need some advice

A fast 28mm lens gives scope to an event in that for example you can easily get the audience and the speaker in the same shot whereas often with a larger lens you can get one or the other but not both. Operating close with a 28mm means there is less chance of someone walking in front of you when you are about to take the shot. Apparent depth of field and sharpness are also good. Large group shots are also easier and demand less stepping back to take the shot.

A fast zoom that goes to 200mm, allows you to be unobtrusive when taking some shots. Centering in on an isolated activity involving a small group of people is also possible.

Quote Originally Posted by phurkee
    I have an opportunity to get a 10D cheap, or pay a little more and get a new Rebel XT. I just wanted to know what some opinions are out there as far as a comparison between the two cameras.
    I don't much about the 10D but I just wanted to share this bit with you.

You probably can get a lots out of that 10D. A lot of people here still use a 10D and have not felt the need to upgrade to the 8MP XT, 20D, or 30D. Since this is a business venture, you porbably want to keep initial cost down so if the 10D is a deal go for it. Use that first to see how everything turns out.

I was once talking to a pro photog at an event and he told me that his old top of the line NIKON 4MP DSLR still produces great output and enlargements when shooting in RAW combined with a good software interpolation.

Good luck and have fun.
    Canon 5D MKII & Canon 7D

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    You probably can get a lots out of that 10D. A lot of people here still use a 10D and have not felt the need to upgrade to the 8MP XT, 20D, or 30D. Since this is a business venture, you porbably want to keep initial cost down so if the 10D is a deal go for it. Use that first to see how everything turns out.
    Good advice - if/when you do get another camera the 10D will be a good backup or second camera, and a backup is important if you're shooting professionally. I'm not a Canon shooter but 6mp should be more than enough for this type of work. 16x24 prints should look great but I doubt you'd need prints that big in a situation like this. Larger prints are possible too and should be very good as well - especially compared to 35mm or even 645 medium format.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by manacsa
    I don't much about the 10D but I just wanted to share this bit with you.

I was once talking to a pro photog at an event and he told me that his old top of the line NIKON 4MP DSLR still produces great output and enlargements when shooting in RAW combined with a good software interpolation.

Good luck and have fun.
    This is great advice, but there are two things you need to consider here. One, if you're getting a great deal on a 10D, make sure it is brand new. You don't want to purchase someone else's problem and have it die on you in the middle of an assignment. Also make sure you get some sort of warranty on it, that way when it does go down, you can send it in to get repaired.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

True about used DSLR's; they are basically computers with a shutter. The 10D was replaced by the 20D which was since replaced by the 30D so I doubt you'll find a "new old stock" version around. I've never bought a used DSLR but I'd be hesitant to buy it from someone I didn't know without a warranty. KEH.com is a good one to check, but if you know the history of the camera that's a big plus. Any piece of equipment can fail and that will usually happen at the worst time regardless of how well it's been taken care of. This is why backup equipment is so important when you're working professionally.

Somewhere north of US 10 and east of Wausau, WI, USA

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    True about used DSLR's; they are basically computers with a shutter. The 10D was replaced by the 20D which was since replaced by the 30D so I doubt you'll find a "new old stock" version around. I've never bought a used DSLR but I'd be hesitant to buy it from someone I didn't know without a warranty. KEH.com is a good one to check, but if you know the history of the camera that's a big plus. Any piece of equipment can fail and that will usually happen at the worst time regardless of how well it's been taken care of. This is why backup equipment is so important when you're working professionally.
    Since the 20D was only recently replaced, there should be plenty of "old new stock" available. It will cost a little more than either the XT or the 10D, but you'll get a brand new camera with a warranty.
    Sean Massey
    Massey Photography

Canon 20D
    Canon Digital Rebel XT (backup)
    Canon 70-200 f/2.8L
    Canon 50mm f/1.4
    Sigma 28-105 f/2.8-4.0
    Epson Stylus Photo R1800 Printer

Blog:
    IT 4 Photography

There should be good deals on new 20D's that are still out there, but the 10D has been gone for awhile. I can't tell you the difference between the two, but it might be worth looking into a brand new 20D with a full factory warranty.

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

I'm one of those still shooting with a 10D and I think it is a heck of a camera for many people.

I was at a camera show this weekend with it hanging off my shoulder. A dealer offered me $500 for it and he was selling his for $600. So if you can get one from a friend/family between those two figures, consider it.

A 6mp camera is plenty. It will also force you to learn good photographic technique which is a great thing.

Oh, did I sell my 10D? No, I knew I would need a backup or second camera eventually anyway. But the thought of getting a 30D for $900 or a 5D for $2500 (after rebate and trade) was tempting Not so much because of the megapixels, but for less noise.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Thread Information