Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Just bought a Canon DSLR yesterday *noob*

I just bought the camera yesterday and it works great for some basic photo shoots of homes and rooms.

I am a realtor if you are wondering.

I purchased this camera to capture those pictures around the city and of new homes that are just awe inspiring photos.

Does anyone have any pointers on a book I should buy to help me get those nice looking photos?

Or what settings are great for outside of a homes in the daytime and what are good settings for night time shots of the city?
    Just a Realtor shooting to get ahead ;)

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Just bought a Canon DSLR yesterday *noob*

Quote Originally Posted by gatorwire
    I just bought the camera yesterday and it works great for some basic photo shoots of homes and rooms.

I am a realtor if you are wondering.

I purchased this camera to capture those pictures around the city and of new homes that are just awe inspiring photos.

Does anyone have any pointers on a book I should buy to help me get those nice looking photos?

Or what settings are great for outside of a homes in the daytime and what are good settings for night time shots of the city?

Welcome to the forum!! It's always great to see new members join. The first, and most important, book you should read, is the manual that came with your new camera! One book that I have mentioned in the forums in the past is The Basic Book Of Photography by Tom and Michele Grimm. I found this book to be full of great info and pretty inexpensive. You should be able to find it for around $10-$15, maybe less if you go for a used copy.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Re: Just bought a Canon DSLR yesterday *noob*

Night time shots of city skylines and buildings are usually best taken at dusk when there's just a little bit of light left in the sky. They'll tend to look flat if shot after dark - try both and see what you think. Make sure to turn the flash off too! One piece of equipment that you really can't do without is a tripod (and a cable release or remote release, OK - that's two). With this, you'll have long shutter speeds and end up with blurry shots without a tripod.

Another good thing to use is a bubble level that goes in the flash hotshoe, this way you can easily tell if your camera is level. It can be very hard to tell if it's level or not by looking thru it in the dark, and (unintentional) tilted horizons don't look good! All of this will be good for daylight too, a tripod will make you slow down and really make sure your composition is what you want.

Thread Information