Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24 for my D70?

Has anyone ever compared these lenses other then reviews? I don't think one could go wrong with either. I really miss the wide that I got with my N80 and my 19-35. I suppose I'm leaning a little towards the Tokina 12-24 because it has a little more span. Hmm but not quite as wide. Hmmm.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
    Bill

Nikon Samurai #15

Re: Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24 for my D70?

I've shot (briefly) with the Nikon 12-24 and it's a great lens. I hear the Tokina is almost as good, and only half the cost. If you don't plan on using it wide open, optically you might not see a difference. Big plus with these two lenses IMO is constant f4 aperture.

I'll probably end up with the Sigma someday - nothing else goes that wide. Canon has a 10-22, but with a 1.6x sensor so this is a little wider. I always loved shooting a 20mm on my film cameras, and miss it with the DSLR. Tamron has a good one too, but it's 11-18 and variable aperture. It's supposed to be a really good lens, but I can't really see that narrow of a focal length range personally - right now I'm limited to 28mm and 18-28 is a huge gap. 20-28 is a big gap too, but a couple of mm's is a huge difference with lenses this short.

Hi..I think this might be my first post
    I have the Tokina...but I use it on my Fuji S3, not a D70. I took it on vacation to Hydra, Greece, and fell in love with it more than I expected.
    I read the reviews on dpreview, and did a lot of research. I did not compare it to the sigma as I liked the range of the Tokina better, for my use.
    Lisa H-S
    Fuji S3
    Nikkor 50mm 1.8D
    Tokina AT-X 124 Pro DX 12-24mm F4
    Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO Macro Super II

I have the Sigma 10-20 and have found it to be a wonderful lens. The image is very rectilinear for something this wide. It is very sharp and flare is very well controlled. See the images below. They are resized of course from the originals shot with a 20D, but you can get the idea nonetheless.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24 for my D70?-all_saints_chapel_in_the_royal_palace.jpg   Sigma 10-20 or Tokina 12-24 for my D70?-flare_control.jpg  

Thread Information