• 06-03-2004, 08:07 PM
    JVphotography
    Vivitar 283 flash on dSLR?
    I need some advise on using old model non-dedicated flash, specifically Vivitar 283, on dSLR camera. I have a vivitar 283 flash that I used when I was using manual SLR camera before. I need to know if this flash can be used with Canon 10D dSLR. I was thinking of using this flash as a back up.

Any advise would be helpful.
    Thanks!
  • 06-04-2004, 10:11 AM
    Mig
    The old 283 model is not recommended at least according to Vivitar's site. I have a newer model 285HV, which is supposed to have a trigger voltage of around 6v, and have used it on my 10D without any problems, but I think the old 283's (as well as the old 285's) trigger voltage was around 300v. As Vivitra's site states, the new 283's voltage is fine, but if you're not sure how old your 283 is I wouldn't risk it -- there is a way to test the voltage with a meter. There is this which lowers the voltage, but I've never actually used one.

Danielle
  • 06-08-2004, 02:52 PM
    JVphotography
    Thanks MIG,

I thought about that so I went to a local camera store and ended up buying a new 420EX Speedlight flash as a backup and as a remote flash.

thanks for your advise.
  • 10-29-2009, 09:55 AM
    dondrup
    Re: Vivitar 283 flash on dSLR?
    Hi all,

I have an old Vivitar 2800 flash and am getting an used Pentax K100D. The above links don't work anymore and Vivitar doesn't seem to have any support documentation on their new site concerning whether these two will work together. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Thanks, Stephen
  • 10-30-2009, 05:54 PM
    Grandpaw
    Re: Vivitar 283 flash on dSLR?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dondrup
    Hi all,

I have an old Vivitar 2800 flash and am getting an used Pentax K100D. The above links don't work anymore and Vivitar doesn't seem to have any support documentation on their new site concerning whether these two will work together. Can anyone point me in the right direction here? Thanks, Stephen

Did a search and the Vivitar 2800 has a trigger voltage of 80 volts. Looks like Pentax uses 30 volts or less so I would say , do not use it, Jeff