Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Sony a100 vs. Nikon d50 (or d40)

I'm looking at purchasing a new digital camera within the next month or so. I'm very torn between two cameras.

I'm leaning toward the Sony A100. The camera would cost $639 at the linked website (ranges from that to around 700 from what I've seen). I have two lenses that I could use with the camera...28-80 and 100-300 (Sigma 1:3.5-5.6 MACRO and Sigma 1:4.5-6.7 DL).

The Nikon D50 is $450, and a friend has offered to sell me two of his lenses for $180 (a sigma 18-50mm f2.8 and a 70-200mm f2.8). So that total would be $630.

The D40 is about $150 more expensive than the D50, and I really don't know what the difference is between the two.

With the price being within $10 of each other, it's a very difficult decision! I went to Wolf Camera today to actually hold and feel the cameras, but of course they only had D40s.I'll probably try to get a feel for the D50 the next time I see my friend.

I like the "steadyshot" feature the a100 offers, and overall it *seems* like a better camera. However, the d40 was smaller (I still need to see the d50 up close), and I've read in many places the a100 is much noiser when used for low light. Since I will be using this indoors (taking pictures for any articles I write at campus events), then I can't have anything that could cause a disruption. But saying it's "noisier" is a very vague descriptor...is it so noisy that it'd be heard over an actor/singer/musician?

So if people who own or know about these two cameras could give me suggestions and advice in picking between the two it'd be very much appreciated.

(And when I'm typing things like this, I tend to ramble and meander...so my apologies!)

Re: Sony a100 vs. Nikon d50 (or d40)

First, I am a rather newby, so take what I say with a grain of salt, there are obvious professionals on here that know WAY more than I.

Noise means garbage in the picture when shooting at hi ISO which you tend to do at indoor events. There are software packages out there to remove noise but it does come back to how computer savy you are and how much editing you want to do.

I looked at Nikon vs Sony too and went with the Sony. I did so for the IS (image stabilization) because they make lenses with it built in to the lens but they are pricey. I have old minolta lenses and wanting to at least be able to use them until I get better at shooting and decide to add some 'fancy' ones later on.

I shoot mostly outdoor events, but have been able to get good indoor shots by taking a few setup shots and the Aperature software for apple fixes nearly everything I mess up.
    For the pure love of catching a moment for a lifetime..
    http://lareinagel.dotphoto.com

Yeah, I figured that out after reading a bit more...but I've also heard that a100s are actually louder as well. How much louder and if it's true or not...I don't know.

I think I have decided upon the Nikon. The image stabilization on the a100 is very nice, and I may regret it...but my friend dropped the price on his lenses (when he realized I was buying them for me and not for someone else), and he's throwing a few more things in. So instead of it costing around the same, the Nikon will cost me much less.
    I hope I don't regret it later!

Usel

The D50 is better than the D40 simply because the D50 has a focusing pin built into the bayonet ring of the camera while the D40 does not. This means the lenses you use with the D40 are far more limited (and specific) than the D50. I did try the Sony A100 and I found it to be a little soft, but feature wise it was a good camera. I still ended up going with an Olympus.

After making a decision last night, I find myself hedging between the d50 and a100 yet again. I really think I preferred the a100...but I don't know if my lenses will be up to par.

Meh!

*edit* scratch that. After looking at some comparison pics, I'm going with the Nikon D50.
    Last edited by Austriana; 01-30-2007 at 10:29 AM.

Iron Horse

wait, are you saying that your friend is including the Sigma 70-200mm 2.8 along with another lens for $180?? If so, run, grab the lenses from your friend, and toss the money out of the car window as you're driving away.

Overall, I'd say that the Sony is a better camera than the D50 (and you may not be able to use older lenses with the D40), but the lenses you have for it are nothing special. If you plan on keeping the body a few years and then upgrading, go for the Nikon. If you plan to keep the lenses you have and not buy any more, go for the Sony.

edit - there appears to be an older Sigma 75-200mm lens that's currently selling used for about $120 at B&H. if that's the lens you're referring to, I'd say its a tossup between the two systems, with the Sony having a better body (and IS built in), and the Nikon having the better lens system to buy into. it's up to you as to how many lenses you'll be buying from here on out.

I think I had a typo. Let me see...I don't know why I wrote that. He's giving me - 55-200mm f4-5.6 and 18-55mm f3.5-5.6. And I'm getting the 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor. I had copied/pasted what I wrote bfore from somewhere...*shrugs* i'm confused! Anyway...yeah, those are the three lenses I'll have.

Comparing the different ISO samples is what sold me.

Iron Horse

well, both of those camera bodies are reviewed here in the "pro review" section, as well as on dpreview.com, so you can definitely check out a lot of sample pics/reviews before deciding. think it still comes down to better body on the Sony vs better lens selection (going forward) on the Nikon. up to you.

If reviews mean anything to you, check out this months Popualr Photography(Feb 2007). They did a side by side of the Nikon D80, Canon XTI, Pentax K10D, Samsun CX10, and the Sony Alpha 100. The order they finished in is the same as I just posted. The did however do a nice job of listing the results for the individual criteria. Check out the article if you are interested.

Finally got the D50. I haven't really done much with it, except some minor pics of my son.

Yay!!

Pentax Forum Moderator

Very handsome boy. Nice shot and great bokeh!!! Regardless of your dilemma in the beginning, you made a good choice and couldn't have gone wrong with either camera, IMHO. Keep up the great work and I hope to see many more shots with that new camera!
    Ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

here is the contrast i got with the a100...Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

personally i think they take GREAT pictures...

thats [B]with-out[B] any contrast adjustments. thats from just taking the picture...no adjustments no nothing...just a snap shot. but the lens i have is a sony 50mm f/1.4

Do not get the D40. It only has 3 autofocus points. The D50 is a much better camera, it has more creative control. But the Sony Alpha is a very good camera. Image stabilization (without an IS lens), and dust control on the sensor. You have a decent range of lenses on the Alpha, because of how it's just a Konica Minolta in Sony clothing. But, before you buy the cameras, hold them. Because the grips are different, and so is the position of the menu dials.

I'd go with the Alpha.
    Louis An Photography

--Canon Rebel XTi
    --18-55 mm EF
    --75-300 mm EF
    --10-17 mm fisheye
    --Adobe Photoshop CS3
    --Photomatix Pro

Thread Information