Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Small Form DSLR

Small Form DSLR

Hello all,
    I have some quick questions for you. I am having trouble deciding on a small form digital SLR. I have done much research and owned many different cameras. Most recently a Canon 30d, which as a great camera but it was too big for me. In size and technology, I just wasn’t using it enough to justify keeping it. After selling it I did find out what kind of camera would fit my style. I have a good photographic eye but not enough knowledge to be dangerous. I am need of a camera that can take all sorts of shots; night landscape, day landscape, portrait, city, city at night, sports, ect. Basically an all around camera. I know most SLR’s can do all this and more but I need it to be small frame because I will use it mostly on international travels. I do not want to stick out in foreign cities any more than I already do with a huge DSLR and lens.

The cameras I have narrowed it down to are (If you have any other suggestions please say so):
    Olympus E420
    Canon Rebel xsi
    Nikon d40

I think the Olympus E420 has the smallest feel, the Canon Rebel xsi is a higher end camera with the Nikon d40. Any good advice that could help me decide?
    Thanks

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Re: Small Form DSLR

I googled smallest dslr and got the Olymous E420.
    Hope its amall enough for you.

Oh and welcome to the forums ....come back and show us your travel shots.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

D40/D40x/D60/D5000

The D40 chassis evolved into a whole series of cameras D40 > D40x > D60 > D5000.

The first three are pointed at the entry-level market with some simplified features (three autofocussing points, only one knurled wheel to control aperture or diaphragm instead of a dedicated wheel for each). However this is still a sophisticated DSLR that will do everything you need.

The D5000 is new and is pointed slightly higher. It has 11 autofocus points and a video system.

I bought the D60 as my "small light cheap" DSLR. Other features I like are the effecient dust removal system and the latest-generation image processor which lets me go up to 3200 ISO with good image quality. It's also very very quiet.

Most of the time I fit a walk-around lens on the camera which makes it seem bigger (the 18-200 dwarfs the D60 but it still fits in my hands). When I want it to be really small and discreet - like in cities at night - I fit my 35mm f1.8 AF-S prime lens. This gives me available-light ability with a "normal" view lens which I find very useful

Note that in the process of making the D40/D40x/D60/D5000 smaller Nikon removed the focussing motor from the body. It you want autofocus you have to use lenses that are AF-S (focussing motor built-in)
    Charles

Nikon D800, D7200, Sony RX100m3
    Not buying any more gear this year. I hope

Olympus E-620

I recommend the Olympus E-620. It's a little bigger than the E-420 but it has built-in sensor shift image stabilization, which I think is invaluable. I've been using it for a few months now and I've been very happy with it. Compared to other new DSLRs the image quality isn't as good. But that's not to say it's bad. It will definitely be a step up from your Canon EOS 30D.

Here's a link to a gallery of photos I've taken with the Olympus E-620:

Olympus E-620 Gallery >>

The Nikon D5000 is also very impressive. I have a D5000 for review right now and the image quality is wonderful. But it's noticeably bigger than the E-620.

One thing to consider about the Olympus DSLR system is the size of the lenses. The Four Thirds sensor is smaller and gives you a 2x crop factor. So a 50mm lens is comparable to a 100mm lens on a 35mm camera. Your EOS 30D has a 1.6x crop factor. The compact lenses are one of the things I like most about the Olympus system.

If you still have lenses from your 30D, you might want to consider the XSi. I have one and have been pretty happy with it. Given a choice, I'd take the Olympus or Nikon over the Canon. But since I have a considerable investment in Canon gear, the XSi made sense as a second body to back up my 40D.

Let us know if you have more questions. For a compact body, I don't think the Olympus E-620 can be beat. Some people will argue that the smaller sensor means poor image quality, but that's just not true. Other cameras may have better image quality. But that doesn't make the E-620 a bad camera. And those cameras are all bigger and heavier.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I sold everything I had with the Canon so there is nothing holding me back. Wow thanks for the advice. Most of the salesmen I talked to all pointed me the Canon but now the Nikon and the Olympus looking looking tasty. I have held the 620, its a lot heavier than the 420.

So in the end, it just what feels good in my hands because they all have comparable specs?

Quote Originally Posted by mlat
    So in the end, it just what feels good in my hands because they all have comparable specs?
    For me, the E-620 is ridiculously light and small. And it's well worth the extra weight for the image stabilization and then newer 12-megapixel sensor. The E-420 is cool because of the size. But personally, it's just a little underpowered.

As far as specs go, be careful how you read them. The Canon and the Nikon will both blow the Olympus out of the water as far as image quality goes. The question is - does it matter? For much of my photography, I'll trade some image quality for the packability of the Olympus system. Plus, there's the smaller size of the Olympus lenses for the same kind of telephoto reach.

It sounds like weight is really an issue for you. I assume it's a medical thing. There are others here who have the same kind of problem. If that's the case and the E-420 feels good, you may also want to take a look at the Panasonic Lumix G1 Micro Four Thirds camera. It's not a true SLR. But it uses the same sensor as the Olympus E-620 and I think it's a little smaller than the E-420. I've used it a bit and the image quality is good and the performance is pretty good, although the electronic viewfinder is a little bit of an issue for me for action photos. That likely won't be a problem for you.
    Photo-John

No the weight is not an issue. The issue is I want something that is easy to travel and pack with, lens included. But still a powerful and versitile camera.

Quote Originally Posted by mlat
    No the weight is not an issue. The issue is I want something that is easy to travel and pack with, lens included. But still a powerful and versitile camera.
    Then I think the Olympus E-620 is the sweet spot. The built-in image stabilization is invaluable. And I like newer 12-megapixel sensor much better than the 10-megapixel sensor in the E-420. Personally, I also find the tilt/swivel LCD very useful when shooting on a tripod.

My second choice would be the Nikon D5000. I'm really impressed with the image quality - especially at high ISO settings. The downside compared to the Olympus is the size of lenses for comparable focal lengths. I don't know if I mentioned it in any of my previous posts, but I absolutely love the Olympus Zuiko Digital 70-300mm lens. It's about the size of the Canon 28-135mm IS but equivalent to a 140-600mm on a full frame camera. Right now, I like to ride with the E-620, 12-60mm and 70-300mm. That gives me a 24-600mm range in a very compact, lightweight kit. I've got a lot of gear at my disposal. But for the past few months, this has been my mountain bike ride kit.
    Photo-John

I will try out the 620 and d5000 with lenses to see which on I like best. I am glad I asked the question because I was going toward the canon because the salesman told me too.

"My second choice would be the Nikon D5000. I'm really impressed with the image quality - especially at high ISO settings."

Is it true that the D5000 cannot AF in Live View? - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    Is it true that the D5000 cannot AF in Live View? - TF
    No, that's not true. Auto focus works in live view, although it's a slower system. Auto focus will not work when you're shooting video, though. You have pre-focus with the auto focus in live view and then start capturing your video - or you have to use manual focus.
    Photo-John

Quote Originally Posted by Photo-John
    No, that's not true. Auto focus works in live view, although it's a slower system. Auto focus will not work when you're shooting video, though. You have pre-focus with the auto focus in live view and then start capturing your video - or you have to use manual focus.
    Thanks, John. - TF
    -----------------
    I am no better than you. I critique to teach myself to see.
    -----------------
    Feel free to edit my photos or do anything else that will help me learn.
    -----------------
    Sony/Minolta - way more gear than talent.

Analog Photographer, Digital World Axle's Avatar

I may be biased in my choice, I say look strongly towards the D5000, it looks like a damn fine camera imho.
    Alex Luyckx | Photography
    Capturing Beauty in Everything

One thing about Olympus...

You get WAY more lens for your money than with the Big Two. The Olympus Zuiko lenses are really fantastic. The sensors are holding them back a bit but sensor technology improves every year while lenses are usually not upgraded for decades. The 12-60 SWD is one of the best standard zooms ever, on any system. the 14-54 is probably the best zoom under $350 for any system, period. The 14-42 KIT LENS is probably the best kit lens on the market, for any system. And it's less than $100 on ebay.

Besides, you really don't want to be replacing your expensive stabilized VR lenses with VR v.2 lenses, do you? Body stabilized systems, like Olympus, Pentax and Sony upgrade the image stabilization every time they release a new body. Can the Big Two claim the same thing?

On the other hand, they really stick it to you on camera body price Olympus seems to under-price their low-tier and overprice their high-tier. I don't really get the Oly pricing structure, but the lenses are really nice and the bodies keep getting better every year.
    Erik Williams

Olympus E3, E510
    12-60 SWD, 50-200 SWD, 50 f/2 macro, EX25, FL36's and an FL50r.

Thread Information