Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Smile Nikon D90 and best medical lens

I am a dentist and have a Medical Nikkor 120mm f/4, which is still a very good product. I want to buy a Nikon d90 (body only) to use with the lens. However, I am considering buying a better, more recent lens to go with the D90. I need a good equipment for work.
    Can anyone discuss the options available in the market? Thanks!

Re: Nikon D90 and best medical lens

What is it about the 120mm f/4 that you are not finding satisfactory? What lens quality are you hoping to get with a new lens that isn't satisfied by the 120mm?

Quote Originally Posted by Anbesol
    What is it about the 120mm f/4 that you are not finding satisfactory? What lens quality are you hoping to get with a new lens that isn't satisfied by the 120mm?
    The 120mm f/4 is fine, but as it was introduced in 1981, I think there might be better options today. Thanks for your interest in replying. Any suggestions?

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

120mm seems awfully long for dental work. I would think that 60mm or 105mm would be better that kind of work so that you don't have to shoot from too far away.

But perhaps more importantly than a new lens would be a good flash setup. Do you have a macro lighting kit like the R1 speedlight system or a ringlight?
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

n8

I agree with Loupey, and would suggest the 105 micro as the 60mm may need to get you closer then your patient may like. The next trick is getting the light in their mouth, in which the macro speedlight set that Nikon sells would probably be your best bet if the $1600 price tag for the combo is in the budget.
    mostly Nikon gear

Feel free to edit my images for critique, just let me know what you did.

Thread Information