• 08-31-2005, 07:44 AM
    jeffreyem
    Upgrade my original Digital Rebel?
    To what? Digital Rebel XT, 20D, wait/save for the 5D???

Jeff
  • 08-31-2005, 08:25 AM
    Chunk
    Re: Upgrade my original Digital Rebel?
    What is it that your rebel can't do that you need or how do you feel it limits you? Which camera best addresses those limitations? You are the only one who knows how you shoot and can decide which features are worthwhile.
  • 08-31-2005, 09:05 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyem
    To what? Digital Rebel XT, 20D, wait/save for the 5D???

Jeff

I agree with Chuck. Don't buy something new just because you can. Make an honest list of what you actually do (not what you might do somewhere in the future!) and why the existing camera can't handle it. Then, if the list is truly signifigant, buy the camera that matches those needs.
  • 08-31-2005, 09:56 AM
    jeffreyem
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chunk
    What is it that your rebel can't do that you need or how do you feel it limits you? Which camera best addresses those limitations? You are the only one who knows how you shoot and can decide which features are worthwhile.

My biggest complaint is that it is slow, power-up, wake-up, shot to shot, and I'm not talking sports action just interaction. I miss shots because I can't get to them in time.

Jeff
  • 09-01-2005, 07:23 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffreyem
    My biggest complaint is that it is slow, power-up, wake-up, shot to shot, and I'm not talking sports action just interaction. I miss shots because I can't get to them in time.

Jeff

Well, instant on is nice but it uses up the battery. Just like those old instant on TV sets, the camera basically never shuts off. For me, that's a big disadvantage and a battery drainer. For you, it may be a good thing. I leave the camera on if I know I'll be taking a lot of shots in a short period of time. Otherwise, a few seconds doesn't bother me.

I have never had a shot-to-shot problem with the Rebel. I have never used up a 36 frame roll of film in a few seconds so maybe the digital equivalent is irrelevent to me. Even with fast moving sports, the Rebel response has been extremely good for what I do. What type of images do you take that require a faster response time than the Rebel? Are you using the fastest CF cards that the Rebel can effectively use? Are you willing to pay mucho bucks to get the very large and fast buffers in the Canon pro 1Dxxx models (more than the upcoming 5D)? I wish I could afford that! :-(
  • 09-04-2005, 08:08 AM
    mjs1973
    I also have the DRebel, and have experienced some of your same issues. I find the 4 shot burst of the DRebel to be quite limiting at times, but I have tried to overcome those limitations by timing my shots to make sure I get the one shot that I want, instead of using it like a machine gun and hoping to get the shot I want. A memory card that allows the camera to write to it at it's fastest speed, will help a bit with this also.

As for the slow wake up time, I have also missed shots because of this. There is a simple solution for this tho. Set the camera so it doesn't turn itself off. Or you can set it to turn off after a longer time such as 2, 4, 8, 15 or 30 minutes instead of 1. I leave mine at one minute, because battery life is very important to me when I'm out and about. If I think there is going to be something worth shooting in the near future, I press the shutter button to make sure the camera is powered up and ready to go.

These are just a couple simple solutions that might get you the shots you want, but my not be all that practical for you, but they work for me. If these techniques don't help you out, then I would consider upgrading to a model that meets your needs.

Just my 2 pennies.