• 01-23-2005, 10:40 AM
    onpiopah
    Underexposed 10d with speedlite
    I have a 10D with a 550Ex speedlite.
    When I shoot in fully automatic mode at a dark image, the result is underexposed.
    I assumed that the camera and flash would automatically expose the picture correctly.
    I assumed this because of the cost of the flash.
    Am I wrong or is something broke, lighter images are not underexposed.
    Any advice would be welcome
  • 01-24-2005, 02:18 PM
    Steve Lutz
    1 Attachment(s)
    Re: Underexposed 10d with speedlite
    Could you post an example? My 10D with 550EX almost never underexposes. If anything it overexposes. I usually drop the flash power 2/3 of a stop to avoid the bright "blasted by flash" look. Generally, even a 220EX is more than enough flash for my 10D or Digital Rebel. Here's one shot at -2/3 stop on the 220EX flash, at ISO 200, Av mode 1/200 @ f/8. Good exposure on the dancers.
  • 01-24-2005, 03:17 PM
    Peter_AUS
    But Steve, they are shooting in Auto Mode, which makes a big difference doesn't it.

Your example is in Av mode where you set up a choice and the camera takes care of the rest.

What is wrong with the girl black top, blue jeans, there is a redness/bump just right of here belly button, very distracting.
  • 01-25-2005, 12:56 PM
    Steve Lutz
    1 Attachment(s)
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flashram_Peter_AUS
    But Steve, they are shooting in Auto Mode, which makes a big difference doesn't it.

Your example is in Av mode where you set up a choice and the camera takes care of the rest.

What is wrong with the girl black top, blue jeans, there is a redness/bump just right of here belly button, very distracting.

True enough. Auto mode is a different animal. I never use it though, prefering either program mode with -2/3 stop flash exposure compensation (I have the software hack on my Rebel, so I have FEC enabled on my Rebel!). Or, as in this shot, because I wanted to freeze the action, I used 1/200 of a sec @ f/8 at ISO 200. The camera was a rebel, the flash a 220EX and the lens was the 18-55 kit lens.

The redness/blotch is either a tattoo or a birthmark. Whatever it is, it isn't the camera's fault. The mark is on her skin. Here you can see it a bit more clearly. Looks like a tattoo of a salamander.