Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

XSi technical questions

So i have had my XSi for couple of months now and I started noticing a few weird technical things, which I am not sure about.
    With my kit lens 18-55 every once in a while when i look through the viewfinder while I am panning (left to right 90 degrees for example) i can see that what i see through it shakes rather violently. it is more than what i normally see when the AF motor kicks in. In this whole process i do NOT hold the shutter button at all. just panning. It almost seems that something is reacting to the inertia of the movement. but it doesn't happen too often.

Yesterday i was using my 50mm prime and tried using the A-DEP setting (dont to that often) and tried to focus on the ground. no problem there. but then i tried to focus horizontally on a target (tree) and the lens motor seemed to go in a fritz. started making a rather loud noise, like it was going into overdrive. Never focused, so i released the button and refocused and this time it worked. Could not reproduce the issue again though

so my question is: are these once-in-a-blue-moon anomalies or are they indication of hardware failure? if so, is it the body, lenses or both?
    thanks
    Canon XSi, Canon 18-55mm IS, Canon 50mm f1.8, Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Liz

Re: XSi technical questions

Quote Originally Posted by ronin2307
    So i have had my XSi for couple of months now and I started noticing a few weird technical things, which I am not sure about.
    With my kit lens 18-55 every once in a while when i look through the viewfinder while I am panning (left to right 90 degrees for example) i can see that what i see through it shakes rather violently. it is more than what i normally see when the AF motor kicks in. In this whole process i do NOT hold the shutter button at all. just panning. It almost seems that something is reacting to the inertia of the movement. but it doesn't happen too often.

Yesterday i was using my 50mm prime and tried using the A-DEP setting (dont to that often) and tried to focus on the ground. no problem there. but then i tried to focus horizontally on a target (tree) and the lens motor seemed to go in a fritz. started making a rather loud noise, like it was going into overdrive. Never focused, so i released the button and refocused and this time it worked. Could not reproduce the issue again though

so my question is: are these once-in-a-blue-moon anomalies or are they indication of hardware failure? if so, is it the body, lenses or both?
    thanks
    Well, just some guesses - coming from Canon XTi and different lenses. It sounds to me like the first (panning) situation is due to the IS and not the "motor" per se' - sometimes the IS does react quite loudly depending on what it "thinks" it is supposed to do. It may have been trying to stablize the camera while you were panning (moving) during the process. Just a guess like I said. After a while you get used to some of the "anomalies" like the IS noisier at times, etc.

As for the 2nd situation, I would just chalk it up to an "anomaly" this time - and just see if it does it again. Maybe someone else will chime in with more intelligent input. I do know that there are times when dslr's do weird things for whatever reason.

Liz

Liz, i heard a similar explanation to my first q on a different forum, but i am not sure i follow. would IS kick in even if the shutter button is not pressed? I guess i was under the impression that it only kicks in when a picture is about to be taken, meaning shutter is half pressed.

I believe the IS is constantly working as long as it's switched on.
    --Cara

Canon 60D
    Canon XSi
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    Canon 24-105mm f/4 L IS
    Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS
    Canon 100mm 2.8L IS Macro
    Canon 300mm F4 L IS
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Tokina SD 12-24mm F/4 DX

My stuff on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35592266@N05

My photo blog: http://adventureswithnaturephotography.blogspot.com/

that may explain it then...well, gonna order the 70-300mm IS lens today so i guess i will have something to compare.
    thx

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by ronin2307
    that may explain it then...well, gonna order the 70-300mm IS lens today so i guess i will have something to compare.
    thx
    When I owned the XTi this was one of my favorite lenses. Very sharp even at the long end - excellent color.

Samples: both straight out of camera - no post processing

Liz

70mm

300mm

yeah, i heard a lot of good things about it. i figured it would be a better investment over the 55-250

Liz

Ronin

I edited the above - the 2nd pic is now 300mm (I posted same pic in error the first time).

You and I were posting at same time.

thought so looked awfully alike and no EXIF data to confirm my suspicion.

Thread Information