Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thinking moving from Point n Shoot to DSLR

I currently have a Canon A70 which I have been happy with for a while. I have been getting some read/write errors lately which require me to format my card to let the camera continue taking pictures. Thank goodness I can use a card reader to get the pictures off first. I am thinking about upgrading to a DSLR after seeing my uncle's Canon 20d and really liking the quality of pictures and the speed at which he can take them. I don't need anything that can take them quite as fast as his but I am sure there plenty of them that are faster than my A70.

I am thinking that an entry level DSLR would work great for me. I first thought about the Canon Rebel XL that comes with a lens because I was impressed by the quality of picture I get from my A70. I have been looking around at Newegg.com because they are my favorite place and notice that the Olympus E500 and the Nikon D50 are also in my price range. I would get both of these with a lens (the Olympus I would probably get with the 2 lens kit). Are there any thoughts on my choices? What are some of the pros and cons of these three cameras?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Thinking moving from Point n Shoot to DSLR

Maybe I can be of help, since I'm also moving up from a point & shoot to a DSLR; in fact my Nikon D200 is on order, with a 18-200 lens. I'm not that familiar with the Olympus E500 and Nikon D50, but I think either would be a good choice, overall. I do know the Canon EOS 20D--it's very good, but has a couple of minor negatives, like scaring away wildlife with the loud shutter sound. The price of the 20D went down recently, so that may help. I suggest reading lots of reviews of your top choices, both user reviews and pro reviews. Consider the strengths and weaknesses that are discussed and look for trends. How does the camera do with the type of pictures you take the most (e.g., I like low light and nature pix)? What type of photographer are you? How do you want the camera to feel--e.g., my concern is the weight of a DSLR, since I'm a small person. I learned a lot by reading what other people experienced, but also try holding your top choices and seeing whether it feels right. There may be more extras available for Canons and Nikons than with Olympus, so that's also a point to think about. I usually buy major camera equipment from local camera stores, so that if I have a question or need to return something, I can get personal service.

Pentax Forum Moderator

Hello Jeff...I recently upgraded to a dslr. My decision was based more on what my wife chose so that we could both learn the same camera at the same time. However, as I've mentioned many times before...the best choice you can make is to go someplace and "play" with the cameras first. Every dslr in the price range you are suggesting is a good choice. We chose the Pentax *ist DL...a little small for my hand but was perfect for my wife, and since I had used a small point and shoot for years...I was able to adapt faily easily. I personally liked the feel of the Nikons and Olympus. The 500 is nice, but consider the 330. It has a few upgrades the 500 doesn't have. Also...consider what you are going to be shooting. For example...I wish my camera had a slower ISO setting, but I guess ISO 200 is the standard starting ISO. Also, consider the upper ISO. 3200 from what I've read is becoming fairly standard. But all of this can be worked around...If you don't like the way the camera feels in your hands, you may not like it and will possibly wind up returning it. So...get out there and try it!!!! Hope this helps a little..
    Ken

I just noticed you are from WI...I like The Camera Company (west side) in Madison.
    ken
    Ken

Click these links for the K5 Review Page and the K7 Review Page
    Remember, Reviews help keep our site free!!!

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The K-Teams Updated Logo CLICK HERE to add a link. Many thanx go to Axle for his hard work.

Nikon Samurai #20

Question Re: Thinking moving from Point n Shoot to DSLR

That is all great advise. With my limited knowledge I will probably be fine with any of the cameras I mentioned so it would be best to just see which one fits the best.

I do have one more question. I stopped off at Circuit City after work to check out a couple of the cameras and they told me that none of the DSLR cameras show a preview of the shot on the LCD like the point and shoot cameras do. They said that you have to use the viewfinder. I don't like that. Is this actually true or is this just another example of the people at the big electronics stores not knowing anything about what they sell?

I'm afraid that's true. The digital sensor in a DSLR doesn't see the light of day until the shutter opens when you press the button. Other than having an electronic viewfinder that swivels for low angle shots, I'd much rather look thru a good optical viewfinder like you'd find in a DSLR. Well, some are better than others and the truly good ones are on very expensive cameras - but I've been working just fine with a fairly dark one for 2-1/2 years and getting great results from it.

Do you have more than one memory card? If not, maybe the problem is just with that card. Most card manufacturers have a lifetime warranty on their products, so you might be able to get a free replacement.

Unhappy Re: Thinking moving from Point n Shoot to DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by another view
    I'm afraid that's true. The digital sensor in a DSLR doesn't see the light of day until the shutter opens when you press the button. Other than having an electronic viewfinder that swivels for low angle shots, I'd much rather look thru a good optical viewfinder like you'd find in a DSLR. Well, some are better than others and the truly good ones are on very expensive cameras - but I've been working just fine with a fairly dark one for 2-1/2 years and getting great results from it.

Do you have more than one memory card? If not, maybe the problem is just with that card. Most card manufacturers have a lifetime warranty on their products, so you might be able to get a free replacement.
    That is extremely disappointing. I have grown to love not having to put the camera up to my face. It is much easier to get different angles when you don't have to move your head into those angles as well. Why couldn't they have offered at least the option of both ways like some point and shoot cameras have. I guess a DSLR is out of the question now.

I will have to try a new memory card.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Circuit City - do they know the difference between a Burro and Burrow?

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/dslr_E-330.htm
    The E-330, is the first digital SLR to offer the comfort and flexibility of continuous live previews directly on the LCD.

(Burro is an ass, Burrow is where rabbits live
    It's importnat to know the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground)
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by SmartWombat
    Circuit City - do they know the difference between a Burro and Burrow?

http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/dslr_E-330.htm
    The E-330, is the first digital SLR to offer the comfort and flexibility of continuous live previews directly on the LCD.

(Burro is an ass, Burrow is where rabbits live
    It's importnat to know the difference between your ass and a hole in the ground)

Thanks much!!! I am definitely going to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by pweb
    Maybe I can be of help, since I'm also moving up from a point & shoot to a DSLR; in fact my Nikon D200 is on order, with a 18-200 lens. I'm not that familiar with the Olympus E500 and Nikon D50, but I think either would be a good choice, overall. I do know the Canon EOS 20D--it's very good, but has a couple of minor negatives, like scaring away wildlife with the loud shutter sound. The price of the 20D went down recently, so that may help. I suggest reading lots of reviews of your top choices, both user reviews and pro reviews. Consider the strengths and weaknesses that are discussed and look for trends. How does the camera do with the type of pictures you take the most (e.g., I like low light and nature pix)? What type of photographer are you? How do you want the camera to feel--e.g., my concern is the weight of a DSLR, since I'm a small person. I learned a lot by reading what other people experienced, but also try holding your top choices and seeing whether it feels right. There may be more extras available for Canons and Nikons than with Olympus, so that's also a point to think about. I usually buy major camera equipment from local camera stores, so that if I have a question or need to return something, I can get personal service.
    I would definitely be interested in hearing your view on your new Nikon D200 with the 18-200 lens. That would certainly seem to be an excellent choice and I have no particular bias in that direction.

Ronnoco

Just to throw a spanner into the works, I found the Pentax viewfinder makes the other DSLRs look like dark tunnels! I had lots of Pentax lenses, and they work on the new cameras, so the choice was brainless.

Do you own any lenses of a particular mount. The glass is what counts, so if you do, your choice is made!

Thread Information