• 11-25-2006, 09:03 AM
    crashgirl
    Thinking of Canon Rebel XTi, what lens should I get?
    I am what some would call a "soccer Mom". I have a four year old that I have taken a ton of pictures of with a point and shoot camera. I decided to move up to the DSLR because I was tired of missing all the cute shots. I would take a variety of stills, sports shots, and of course scenery on vacations, etc. I have been reading the reviews, and I am seriously considering the Canon Rebel XTi. The one thing I have read over and over is that you need to get a good image stabalization lens... so what do you suggest for my situation?
  • 11-25-2006, 06:11 PM
    natsdad
    Re: Thinking of Canon Rebel XTi, what lens should I get?
    Hi there,
    Hope this is some help to you.I purchased a EFS17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM and just love it.The price may be of some concern though.In my part of the world around $AU900
  • 11-30-2006, 12:57 PM
    Photo-John
    natsdad-
    Please post a review for your lens. We always need more reviews:

Read and write reviews for the Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS Lens >>

Thanks!
  • 11-30-2006, 01:04 PM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by crashgirl
    The one thing I have read over and over is that you need to get a good image stabalization lens... so what do you suggest for my situation?

The XTi is a great camera. It's small, light, and very, very capable. Image stabilized lenses are nice. But I wouldn't say you need one. If you're shooting in good light with normal-sized lenses, you definitely don't need one. But for indoor photos, evening photos, or anything with low light or when you need a fast shutter speed, image stabilization will definitely make a difference. The Canon EF-S 17-85mm IS lens that natsdad has is an option, although it has decidedly mixed reviews. I don't know what your budget is, but you might also consider the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS lens. It costs a lot more but has very good reviews. Another option is to get the kit lens and buy the classic Canon 28-135mm IS lens. That has been around for a long time and done a great job for many photographers, including myself.

If you aren't set on the Canon Digital Rebel XTi, Sony and Pentax both have digital SLRs with image stabilization built into the camera instead of the lenses. That means you wouldn't have to buy special lenses.