pgowder
    Telephoto for Maxxum 7D
    I have 2 questions for everyone.

1st which lens would you buy:

Sigma 135-400mm
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3876866005

Or a Minolta 100-400mm
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3878149055

2nd, one of the buyers on Ebay mentioned that there is a problem with the 7D and higher mm lenses. Anyone here this?
  • 03-01-2005, 06:55 PM
    DownByFive
    Re: Telephoto for Maxxum 7D
    Since I'm not a KM owner, I'm probably not the best person to answer this...But I've read in reviews and it sort of makes sense that KM anti-shake technology is not quite as effective with longer focal length lenses (although there is much debate about the veracity of this assertion, the dpreview.com review explains why this might be). So maybe this is what the person meant by it having a problem...
  • 04-14-2005, 10:31 AM
    raminolta
    I just recently acquired a 7D, so can not talk yet talk of my personal experience. From the images that actual users have shown on dpreview, i can say that 7D´s AS system must be as reliable as Canon/Nikon IS/VR even at long focal length if not better! There are even pictures showing a gain of 4 stops!! In any case as of now there is no firm evidence that AS is an equally effective. I am guessing on the reason that some people may not get AS work effectively for them, is that one can not see the effect of AS in the viewfinder before taking the shot so taking the shot too quick before AS manages to stabilize the image. The remedy is perhaps paying more attention to the side lights in the viewfinder that show the camera´s level of shake and give AS a bit of more time to stabilize the image!
    I am soon going to do my own testing on AS in long focal lengths, so i can speak up of a more conclusive assertion. I am going to test this using a Sigma 50-500mm lens.
    Regards, Ramin
  • 05-13-2005, 08:34 AM
    PinkFloyd
    I just ordered the Sigma 135-400 because after days of research I just couldn't find many reviews on the Minolta lens but found tons of good reviews on the Sigma. Plus I thought the tripod collar would be nice to have in many situations. Which did you end up buying and what do you think? I noticed that the 100-400 sold the next day.
  • 05-13-2005, 08:50 AM
    pgowder
    Yeah, I missed that one. But I've decided to wait and try to get a 70-200 2.8.
  • 05-13-2005, 01:38 PM
    PinkFloyd
    That looks like a sweet lens!