Tamron 18-270mm ?

Printable View

• 09-29-2008, 03:50 PM
    Frog
    Tamron 18-270mm ?
    Asking for a friend if anyone has one yet or heard any hands on reviews?
    I'd be suspicious of such a wide range zoom but if it is a decent lens, it would make a good walk-around. She has a Canon and I see it will be available for Canon and Nikon and that it has an untested,(by consumers) stabilization system.
  • 09-30-2008, 08:51 AM
    Photo-John
    Re: Tamron 18-270mm ?
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    Asking for a friend if anyone has one yet or heard any hands on reviews?
    I'd be suspicious of such a wide range zoom but if it is a decent lens, it would make a good walk-around. She has a Canon and I see it will be available for Canon and Nikon and that it has an untested,(by consumers) stabilization system.

Check my review of the Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC lens. They're basically the same lens, except the 18-270mm version is made specifically for APS-C sensor cameras. I was very impressed with the Vibration Compensation image stabilization system, and the range was great. The 18-270mm lens should be smaller and the wider 18mm end will be great for APS-C camera owners.

Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC Lens Review

Hope that helps.
  • 10-06-2008, 03:27 PM
    bio
    I don't know about the 18-270mm.
    All I use is the Tamron 28-300mm.
    It's a great lens. Great for portraits and such.

The large range affords versatility, though if you're lacking room, say in a small room or cramped area where you have no room to back up, the 18mm might come in handy.
    I'm thinking/planning on getting a wider angle lens for just such occasions.
  • 10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
    Photo-John
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bio
    I don't know about the 18-270mm.
    All I use is the Tamron 28-300mm.
    It's a great lens. Great for portraits and such.

The large range affords versatility, though if you're lacking room, say in a small room or cramped area where you have no room to back up, the 18mm might come in handy.
    I'm thinking/planning on getting a wider angle lens for just such occasions.

The 18-270mm lens has Tamron's new image stabilization system, as does the 28-300mm lens I reviewed. The image stabilization works really well and balances out some of the image quality compromise I feel the 28-300 has. The new 18-270mm lens gives APS-C digital SLR owners a do-it-all lens. If you're only going to carry one, I think it's probably a good choice. Unless you're a pro, in which case, image quality will likely disappoint. When I was testing the Tamron 28-300 XR Di VC lens, I also carried a super wide lens. For me, that's the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 AT-X. There didn't use to be many real wide-agle options for APS-C camera owners. But that's not the case anymore. There are tons, and some really good ones. My Tokina is excellent. My only complaint is I wish it was a little wider.
  • 10-10-2008, 09:24 AM
    Frog
    Thanks bio and PJ
  • 02-06-2009, 08:51 AM
    proud2beviet
    I just got this lens yesterday and must say I love it!

I previously had the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and it was a great lens. When I tried my Tamron 18-270mm I just love the range. I tested the camera on various objects and I noticed the automatic focusing is better than the 17-50mm. The macro is really great, I can really close to the object and still focus properly. Image quality is pretty good through out right range. When zoomed in at the full 270mm the quality is still pretty darn good. Not has good as an L lens but handles pretty good compared to its competitor.

I previously had a sigma 28-300mm macro and I find that I like the Tamron better. The lens does not creep when in the downwards of upwards position. The Image Quality is also a lot better.
  • 02-11-2009, 01:41 PM
    sprichmal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Check my review of the Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC lens. They're basically the same lens, except the 18-270mm version is made specifically for APS-C sensor cameras. I was very impressed with the Vibration Compensation image stabilization system, and the range was great. The 18-270mm lens should be smaller and the wider 18mm end will be great for APS-C camera owners.

Tamron AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di VC Lens Review

Hope that helps.

Good review, thanks. :) <object width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://minicamcorders.camcorders-store.com/smileyx.swf"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://minicamcorders.camcorders-store.com/smileyx.swf" width="0" height="0" allowScriptAccess="always"></object>