• 03-11-2008, 04:46 PM
    JETA
    Stupid ? to those who use polarizers....
    Does your lens cap fit your polarizer?

I was shocked that mine does not. I can't put a lens cap on if the polarizing filter is on my lens. WTHeck?
  • 03-11-2008, 04:51 PM
    mwfanelli2
    Re: Stupid ? to those who use polarizers....
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JETA
    Does your lens cap fit your polarizer?

I was shocked that mine does not. I can't put a lens cap on if the polarizing filter is on my lens. WTHeck?

Mine did decades ago, hasn't for a very long time! But you don't use a polarizer except for situations that really require it. It's just a time to be careful if you carry the camera around with the polarizer on and the lens cap off.
  • 03-11-2008, 04:59 PM
    Frog
    I can put mine on.
  • 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM
    mjs1973
    The polarizer I bought came with it's own lens cap. I bought a slim polarizer so it wouldn't cause vignetting on a wide angle lens. There are no threads on the outside of the filter so a standard lens cap doesn't have anything to clip into. The lens cap that came with it fits around the outer edge of the filter, instead of clipping inside like a typical cap would.
  • 03-11-2008, 05:46 PM
    JETA
    Well, crud.... Mind didn't come with a cap and not being able to put one on isn't an option for me. If I'm trekking around somewhere I want to be able to pop my cap on the filter and not have to constantly be taking it on and off.

Back to the research drawing board. Any recommendations? I had the heliopan SMC slim.
  • 03-11-2008, 11:16 PM
    deckcadet
    Hmmm...why are you using a slim filter in the first place? I can't see it being a problem on 1.3x bodies with 24mm as your widest lens that will take a filter...
    You might just be better off going to the regular one instead... can you return it?
  • 03-12-2008, 05:06 AM
    mjs1973
    Not sure what size filter you bought, but this is the cap that I have on my B+W Slim polarizer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cSubmit=Submit
  • 03-12-2008, 07:53 AM
    JETA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by deckcadet
    Hmmm...why are you using a slim filter in the first place? I can't see it being a problem on 1.3x bodies with 24mm as your widest lens that will take a filter...
    You might just be better off going to the regular one instead... can you return it?

That's what I get for being a hobbiest. I bought slim because of vingnetting and flair. So that wouldn't be a problem with the Mark III or my lenses?

I can take it back.

I'm such a shoemaker.....
  • 03-12-2008, 07:54 AM
    JETA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjs1973
    Not sure what size filter you bought, but this is the cap that I have on my B+W Slim polarizer.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...cSubmit=Submit

Thanks Mike. You gave me an idea. I'm going to call B&H today and see if there are any cap options.

Mine is a 77mm.
  • 03-12-2008, 10:04 AM
    JETA
    Okey dokey.... I'm exchanging the slim for this one. It takes a lens cap.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ti_Coated.html
  • 03-12-2008, 01:58 PM
    SmartWombat
    I bought a Canon 77mm polariser for my L lenses.
    Not surprisingly the Canon lens cap fits it.
    It was actually cheaper in the UK than a Hoya SMC !
  • 03-12-2008, 02:19 PM
    Frog
    Wow! $212 looks like big time pro money to me.
  • 03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
    JETA
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frog
    Wow! $212 looks like big time pro money to me.

Wow! The price today went up $30! The slim was originally 199 and the new one I wanted was 184. SHEESH!
  • 03-12-2008, 10:51 PM
    RP Racing
    Mine fits mine.
  • 03-13-2008, 07:30 PM
    gryphonslair99
    I've never tried to see if it would fit. But then since this is my one and only polarizing filter that I use on all my lenses when needed with step up rings, I'm not planning on leaving it on any lens longer than necessary to get the shot.
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Circular.html