Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thumbs down Canon EOS 20D limited lifetime ??

I have read on some forums that EOS 20D has a mirror - shutter lifetime of 50.000 pictures, compared to 10D which has a lifetime of 250.000 pictures.

Where can this information be checked? Because if this is true, what am I going to throw away my camera after few years of usage???

Re: Canon EOS 20D limited lifetime ??

I doubt that this would be correct information, there would be a mass litergation on Canon if that were the case. I think people need to check their facts first. You might be seeing some people reporting they are having problems and have taken 50,000 pictures and in the short time it has been out that is an awful lot of pictures per day they are taking. If so then they really should be buying a Professional Camera that is designed for that sort of treatment, not Consumer Cameras that would be expected to maybe taking maybe 10,000 pictures per year (this is 180 pictures a week or 5 rolls of 36 equivalent on average).

From what I've read (second hand info...), the 10D/20D should get at least 50,000, which is pretty standard for DSLRs...I don't think any DSLR, with the exception of the Canon 1d series and the Nikon D1/D2 series is rated over 100,000 cycles (I think the 1d series are rated at 150,000, but that might be off...). Of course, some people may get 10,000, some may get 100,000, it just depends...

I don't know how to put this, but...I'm kind of a big deal...People know me.

My Dumb Web Page

Freelance Photographer meeksdigital's Avatar

i have also heard that the 10/20D series have around a 50,000 cycle shutter life, which, as DownByFive said, is pretty standard for prosumer DSLR's. i dont know where you heard that the 10D has a life of 250,000 cycles, but that is WAYYY off. i dont know of any camera that is rated for 250,000.
    i talked to a canon rep about this the other day, and they said that when you reach/exceed the shutter life of your camera, you will notice over-exposed photos and whatnot. thats when you send it in and get the shutter replaced. you dont simply throw a camera away, they are made to be re-built. i have about 10,000 shots on my 20D so far, and its an incredible camera. it will be a record for me if i end up shooting anywhere near 50,000 shots!
    Trevor Meeks
    MeeksDigital Photography
    http://www.meeksdigital.com

Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail

Nothing to worry about.

In a few years, your 20d will be outdated and prehistoric anyways
    I sleep, but I don't rest.

Freelance Photographer meeksdigital's Avatar

veeerryyy good point. sheesh, im already considering getting a 1D Mk II. but my 20D does the job just fine right now.
    Trevor Meeks
    MeeksDigital Photography
    http://www.meeksdigital.com

Flying is not inherently dangerous, but terribly unforgiving of any mistakes, neglect or inattention to detail

Thread Information