Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Lens control-rings relative placement

I've noticed that many of the newer zoom lenses from several major manufacturers (Canon, Sony, Sigma, and especially Nikon), have the MF-ring closer to the lens mount, and the zoom ring farther from the lens mount. Not too long ago all lenses had zoom close/MF far.

What is your preference, is MF-close more user friendly or convenient?

Nature/Wildlife Forum Co-Moderator Loupey's Avatar

Re: Lens control-rings relative placement

Ergonomically, one puts the control most used the farthest away - because that's where the thumb and index finger are.

The flip between the zoom and focus ring reflect the fundamental shift occuring in photographers' shooting habits. The reliance/preference on auto focus and zooms.

I remember a time when zooms were, by far, a minority in a lens line-up and autofocus wasn't even developed. Now, many of the newer lenses have barely a focus ring.

The three zooms I currently own (Canon 16-35mm, 24-105mm, and 70-200mm) all have it "correctly" - the focus ring out front. I tried the 28-135mm for about a week but couldn't stand the flipped orientation.
    Please do not edit or repost my images.

See my website HERE.

What's a Loupe for anyway?

Toon Army Foot Soldier straightarm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A.M.D.A.
    What is your preference, is MF-close more user friendly or convenient?
    I virtually never use MF, the zoom ring is the only one I use. As long as that is convenient, I'm happy
    Simon, bombadier 1st class

I very much prefer them on the outer edge. What possible reason could manufacturers put them in front for? Even with the greater reliance on auto-focus, whats the point? I can't imagine a zoom working better on the front...

Thanks for the responses. When Loupey replied I must have had accidentally deleted to email notification before reading... :blush2:

Thread Information