Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Sony DSLRs

Sony DSLRs

Hi all,

Newbie here

I'm looking to venture into higher-end DSLR photography, having previously only used models in the £200-300 range. I've stumbled across this model - http://www.camera-suppliers.com/u/pp...ra380l/2934297 - and wonder if it would be a good stepping stone? Anyone with any experience of it - is it a quality camera?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Sony DSLRs

I don't know anything about thay dealer, but Sony makes very good digital SLRs. The truth is, every digital SLR now is very good - especially if you've only used point-and-shoot cameras. They all have excellent image quality and they all perform very well. Unfortunately, we don't have any Sony Alpha A380 user reviews, yet. But you can check other Sony DSLR user reviews here:

http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr...4_3127crx.aspx

Why don't you tell us more about what kinds of subjects you plan to take pictures of and what kind of experience you have? Then maybe we can give you some more cameras to look at.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

The A380's targeted demographic is very much beginner-intro, the menu and interface is geared towards simplifying the function. The graphics on the display are more detailed to convey the function in an easier to understand manner. It has excellent image quality, and an excellent live view system. The down sides are that, its the noisiest 1600 ISO available now, many complaints about the grip being 'too small', but that of course is subjective to your hands.

Considering its geared towards beginners, its not much of a stepping stone, unless you plan on stopping at beginner level. The A5XX and A700 will offer a lot more advanced function and feature for more advanced manual control, so I think they would make the better stepping stone. They also both have nicer grips, and much better high ISO image noise, especially the A5XX.

Thanks guys

Well my only previous experience is really with point-and-shoots, so I'm wary of making too big a step, if you know what I mean?

Photos will typically be nature photography

I'm also considering the Nikon D5000, which looks of a comparable spec and price - http://ramblax.co.uk/p~p-84704409.aspx - any thoughts on that?

Thread Information