• 05-03-2005, 09:42 AM
    Miffy
    Some questions and wonderings...
    Look, my first post!! :)

So here's my story - I've owned a Nikon D55 SLR for 3 years or so, and it's been nothing but nasty! Problems with it draining my batteries, problems with it firing shots at random... basically, it's possessed by the devil and no matter how many times I send it away to get fixed, after a month or so, it goes back to being possessed. But that's a whole other story for another thread, I suppose...

So now, I'm moving onto digital, finally! Money has become my friend, so I'm looking to buy a nice little point'n'shoot, as well as DSLR. I've only just started researching, but I have some thoughts and questions, and would LOVE some input! Some of these questions will be ridiculous, I'm sure, but help me anyway, cause I'm nice! ;)

* Nikon seems to be the best in terms of affordable DSLR's, yes? So if I want to spend the money, I'm feeling I should buy a Nikon D70s when it comes out... True?

* But what happens if my new Nikon DSLR turns out to be evil along with my old Nikon SLR?! Is that common?!

* My second choice at this stage would be a Pentax *ist. It seems like a big drop in price, but from what I've read, it sounds better than the Canon 300D. The Canon 300D sounds like it's a bit cheap and nasty, is that a fair prediction?

* I haven't heard any bad things about Pentax *ist, but surely there's gotta be something?! Is Pentax dodgy? I like the idea that it's small, as I have tiny hands...

* Canon 300D reviews quite often say "I can't see out the LCD screen to take photos!" Is that correct? Are you meant to be able to see out of it to take photos? Do you see out of other DSLR LCD's to take photos?

I warned you my questions would be nutty, sorry! But I would so love if someone was able to answer a few of them!

Thanks in advance!! :)
  • 05-03-2005, 10:13 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Re: Some questions and wonderings...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Miffy

* Nikon seems to be the best in terms of affordable DSLR's, yes? So if I want to spend the money, I'm feeling I should buy a Nikon D70s when it comes out... True? * But what happens if my new Nikon DSLR turns out to be evil along with my old Nikon SLR?! Is that common?!

No,Canon has them beat when it comes to price. The Nikon D70 has been out for over a year. My question is simple: if you had so much trouble with your Nikon film camera, why would you want a Nikon digital? Lots of your trouble may result from a mismatch between the camera's ergonomics and you. Try several different cameras and put "how does it feel" way up on the list of requirements.

Quote:

* My second choice at this stage would be a Pentax *ist. It seems like a big drop in price, but from what I've read, it sounds better than the Canon 300D. The Canon 300D sounds like it's a bit cheap and nasty, is that a fair prediction?
    I have the 300D and it is a fine camera at a great price. It has been replaced by the 350D (the XT). The Pentax is an excellent camera. Also look at the Pentax *ist DS which is cheaper.

Quote:

* I haven't heard any bad things about Pentax *ist, but surely there's gotta be something?! Is Pentax dodgy? I like the idea that it's small, as I have tiny hands.
    There is something "wrong" with every camera.The Pentax has strong points and weak points just like all others.

Quote:

* Canon 300D reviews quite often say "I can't see out the LCD screen to take photos!" Is that correct? Are you meant to be able to see out of it to take photos? Do you see out of other DSLR LCD's to take photos?
    No DSLR has an active LCD. You must use the viewfinder. I have no idea why someone would single out the Canon for this.
  • 05-03-2005, 10:31 AM
    Miffy
    Quote:

No,Canon has them beat when it comes to price.
    That's what I was asking...
    So does that mean Canon is cheap and nasty though? Or does it mean they just somehow managed to make a camera that was just as good as Nikon, but cheaper? Or is Nikon just overpriced?

Quote:

The Nikon D70 has been out for over a year.
    I realise this. I asked about the Nikon D70S, which is being released very shortly in Australia.

Quote:

My question is simple: if you had so much trouble with your Nikon film camera, why would you want a Nikon digital? Lots of your trouble may result from a mismatch between the camera's ergonomics and you.
    Dude! I sincerely doubt I did the wrong thing by turning on the camera and it randomly firing shots. It drains brand new batteries in about 15 seconds. It has nothing to do with it's ergonomics and myself.

When it actually did work, very occasionally, I loved it. I don't think it was anything I was doing wrong, and I sincerely hope it won't happen again if I buy another Nikon. That's why I'm considering another Nikon. I have faith! :)

Quote:

No DSLR has an active LCD. You must use the viewfinder. I have no idea why someone would single out the Canon for this.
    Well, me either! Just to prove I wasn't being a fool, here's the link...

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/cano...d-reviews.html

Thanks for your help! :)
  • 05-03-2005, 02:56 PM
    another view
    Something interesting: The D70s has a few improvements, but most of those improvements can be downloaded by a firmware update to the older D70. Of course you won't get the bigger LCD, but it's a way to get an "almost D70s" at a discount because the older D70 will probably have more rebates announced to clear out stock. Being cheap, that's what I'd probably do.

Canon and Pentax are both excellent but Canon and Nikon have more available lenses and accessories, so if you're serious these might be the best two to stick with.

The LCD screen is only for playback of images and for viewing setup menus. You'll have to look through the viewfinder to compose your shot, just like on the N55. This is a big advantage, really. Sounds like you got a bad N55, that's all. Too bad they didn't just give you a new one - but if you like the feel of Nikon cameras you may want to stick with them. With that, you'd also have the advantage of being able to use (possibly) the lenses and accessories you've already got.
  • 05-03-2005, 03:34 PM
    2kids2shoot
    Have you read the sticky at the top of this forum? I makes a lot of good points.

I don't think there's an answer to what's the best camera. There are probably several that match what features and function you prefer. I bought a Canon but that's driven a lot by my desires were met by that camera and I have past experience w/Canon. I'm sure another camera could have made me just as happy.

I understand your frustrations because there is so much to choose from. Go out there an try a few on for size just to see what it feels like. Then think about the kind of shots you take and how you take them (if you take all your pictures while mtbking do you want to hauling something heavy around?) You will still probably be left with a few choices. Then go with your gut. I don't think there's a wrong decision. It sure as heck isn't clear cut!

Good luck.
  • 05-03-2005, 05:25 PM
    EOSThree
    None of the current crop of Dslrs are "cheap and nasty" they are all competent in their own way. You have to make the decision of cost vs performance, budget vs cost, image quality, noise, ergonomics, etc, etc. Like Michael said, put your hands on the different models, navigate their menus, take some pictures, "feel" them.
    I could tell you the 20D is probably the best of the mid priced Dslrs, the Rebel XT is the best value for the price, the D70 has a solid legion of fans, the *stD is an excellent value, the Sigma SD10 has the most interesting sensor, etc, etc. But that is not my place. You have to make the ultimate decision. Review sites like DCresource and DPreview are excellent sites to gleen information and bring all of these choices into focus.
    http://www.dcresource.com/
    http://www.dpreview.com/
    The D70S is more of a firmware update than a new camera. The only physical difference between it and the D70 is a larger LCD. You would do better value wise by purchasing a D70 and upgrading the firmware, Nikon is making the new firmware available to all D70 owners. That being said, the D70 would be somewhat of a natural choice for you, you are already a Nikonian, and you should be able to use your current lenses on the D70.
  • 05-04-2005, 11:56 AM
    Michael Fanelli
    Quote:

Well, me either! Just to prove I wasn't being a fool, here's the link...

http://www.digitalcamera-hq.com/cano...d-reviews.html

Thanks for your help! :)

The guy who wrote this is an idiot! He says he doesn't know why Canon didn't "just include it" which shows an ignorance of how a DSLR sensor works. Yet he writes and reviews the camera based on his ignorance. Sorry... today is turning out very bad for me and its easy to take it out on an anonymous reviewer!

Maybe in the future we will have DSLR sensors than can provide a live update but they don't exist today. For some people, this "problem" makes an advanced P&S something worth looking at instead of a DSLR.
  • 05-04-2005, 12:56 PM
    Franglais
    In my humble opinion..
    Quote:

Look, my first post!! :)

So here's my story - I've owned a Nikon D55 SLR for 3 years or so, and it's been nothing but nasty! Problems with it draining my batteries, problems with it firing shots at random... basically, it's possessed by the devil and no matter how many times I send it away to get fixed, after a month or so, it goes back to being possessed. But that's a whole other story for another thread, I suppose...

I've had quite a lot of cameras over the years. I currently have 5 Nikons, including a D70. The only one that gave me any trouble was the F601 (from 1989). The others just work fine. You just had a bad F55.

Quote:

* Nikon seems to be the best in terms of affordable DSLR's, yes? So if I want to spend the money, I'm feeling I should buy a Nikon D70s when it comes out... True?

Canon and Nikon are the market leaders and probably sell 20 times more DSLR's than the others. The "best buy" of the moment varies. Currently I would look for a discounted D70.

Quote:

* I haven't heard any bad things about Pentax *ist, but surely there's gotta be something?! Is Pentax dodgy? I like the idea that it's small, as I have tiny hands...

Canon made a mistake with the 300D in making a 1000$ camera look like a 200$ camera. The quality of the components seems to be fine (including the 18-55mm kit lens).

The Pentax is good according to the reviews, but it's still 3rd (or 4th) in the market. The 300D and the D70 each sold a million. Why be different?

Charles
  • 05-04-2005, 10:58 PM
    opus
    Re: In my humble opinion..
    I have a 300D and love it. But that's because the first film SLR I got my hands on was a Canon, so I just stuck with the brand. Once you know a camera and where its controls are, that's what you will be comfortable with. You don't want to be out there shooting and be fumbling because the controls aren't where you expected them to be. Having said that, if you hold a different brand and the controls feel natural to you, then by all means that's a good camera for you.

Your best bet is to go out and hold a few.

Off the subject, I just have to tell you that while I was reading your post, I was struck by how similar you and I seem to "talk". I feel like if I had been asking your question, I would have chosen the exact same words. I think that's kinda neat. :)
  • 05-05-2005, 12:56 AM
    Miffy
    Thanks for your advice, everybody!! :)

I'll continue with my research for a little while before I decide, although it's a bit painful cause I just want to get started!!

I had a play with the Pentax *ist the other day in a camera store, and it seemed to gel well with me. It's nice and little, to match my hands... But I'll have an explore of the others too.

So just to ask one more silly question... Okay, so you can't look through the LCD screen to take a photo, but can you review your photos on the screen? Does the photo pop up on the screen after you've taken it?

Quote:

Off the subject, I just have to tell you that while I was reading your post, I was struck by how similar you and I seem to "talk". I feel like if I had been asking your question, I would have chosen the exact same words. I think that's kinda neat. :)
    That's cool - I love it when that happens! :)
  • 05-05-2005, 06:06 AM
    EOSThree
    Quote:

So just to ask one more silly question... Okay, so you can't look through the LCD screen to take a photo, but can you review your photos on the screen? Does the photo pop up on the screen after you've taken it?

Yes you can review the pictures on the screen. The little screen is not all that useful for looking at pictures, but it is great for determining correct exposure with the histogram. The photo does pop up on the screen after you take it, and at least on my Canon, I can have the histogram pop up along with the photo, and for me this is far more useful than just the photo.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml
  • 05-05-2005, 08:19 AM
    terryger
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EOSThree
    Yes you can review the pictures on the screen. The little screen is not all that useful for looking at pictures, but it is great for determining correct exposure with the histogram. The photo does pop up on the screen after you take it, and at least on my Canon, I can have the histogram pop up along with the photo, and for me this is far more useful than just the photo.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu...se-right.shtml

i have a 20d and am very happy with the lcd for checking a pic. i can enlarge it grossly and tell how the focus and image look from a basic perspective. of course they will look better on a good monitor but it gives you a chance to possibly improve the image while you still have a chance.

i have enjoyed the high speed imaging and telephoto capabilites. is it a perfect camera? hell no, but i'm not sure there is a perfect camera and for the money i can learn to live with it. on occasion, the quality of image produced is mind bogling.

copmared to others i have used this is the winner hands down. you also have to take into account i have better things to do with 6k than to get a camera that may/maynot take a better shot.

in my years of experience i will be know i will be able to impress anybody i really care to with this one. the others would never be impressed regardless of how much i spent.

i studied this purchase far more seriously than you have(see how anal retentive i am) and have not regretted the choice.

could have gone with the rebel and probaly been pretty happy, but as my wife said when i questioned it, "which one do you really want" . i told her and she "then get it, you only live once"

it was agood decision!
  • 05-05-2005, 09:14 AM
    opus
    The only time I can think of that I would like to be able to see the picture on the LCD panel before I take the shot is, if I'm holding the camera high above my head trying to get a shot above everybody else's heads.

But that's not really "photography" IMO. I should have a P&S in that situation. I'll never get a truly good picture if the composition isn't even close to my eyeballs.
  • 05-05-2005, 10:26 AM
    Miffy
    Quote:

Off the subject, I just have to tell you that while I was reading your post, I was struck by how similar you and I seem to "talk". I feel like if I had been asking your question, I would have chosen the exact same words. I think that's kinda neat.
    I know this is way off-topic as well, but Kellybean!! I was just looking through the thread about accidental self-portaits... I was browsing through the photos when I thought, "Hey!! That person looks like me!"

And guess who's self-portrait it was!? It was Kellybean's!!!

Of course I can't see your face, but your little legs in jeans and hair looks just like mine! This is getting creepy! (But funny! :) )
  • 05-05-2005, 02:22 PM
    opus
    *wow*, are you my twin? Separated by half a world?

Wouldn't that be freaky!!!! :D

I'm tempted to show you more self-portraits, but I'm afraid I'd break the illusion. I want to hold on to the thought of the possibilities for awhile. :)

Maybe it would make a great story to write!
  • 05-09-2005, 01:10 PM
    tijean
    I've taken about 6000 shots with the *istDS, shot for a weekend with my mom's 300D, and spent a couple night's playing with my friend's D70. I haven't handled the new 350D though.

Here's a stat sheet for the three:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/comp...istds&show=all

Pentax *istDS: I am very glad that this is the camera I went with. There are lenses available for everything you could possibly want to do, from the cheap old (superb quality) primes to huge, fast sports lenses. I really enjoy the fact that I can put a 20 year-old lens on and it will operate exactly like a new lens (in all mode, from manual to fully auto). No, they don't have the same number of lenses available as Canon or Nikon, but there is a healthy selection and I have never been left saying "I wish Pentax made a..." I have a 31, 50, and 100-300. I am about to get a 28-105 for event shooting.

They still make some of the best lenses and I don't understand why someone had to note that the are 3rd of 4th in the market. Who cares!? A camera's performance can't be measured in terms of company market share! That is just ridiculous.

Only the *istDS mirror lock-up, if we want to talk about "professional" features. This is a huge deal in landscaping and macro photography and one of the reasons the D70 got nixxed for me. It also has a metal frame and very solid body, a bigger, brighter, and more matte viewfinder so that you are not at the mercy of autofocus for critical focus applications. The ability to use AAs has been a lifesaver. It just feels much more like a tool than a little computer. It has all of the presets and automatic funtions, but it was the only camera I found to comfortably operate with them off! The other's seem to fight to get back to what they think they should be on.

I have heard two big complaints about the 300D and after using it, I agree with them. Those two are bad ergonomics and blown highlights (losing detail in light area). It also has no spot metering. I just didn't like how toyish it felt. I know, this doesn't change how it works, but it didn't feel like a tool and all of the quality issues aired on dpreview's 300D forum reiterated that. It was also a chore to shot in anything but the Auto modes.

The D70 feels solid, but it's just too big for me. I was also not eager to go out and buy brand new, overpriced (IMHO) lenses, so it was off the list of possibilities quickly - plus the lack of MLU and tunnel-like viewfinder.

The primary complaint I hear with the *istDS is slow lowlight autofocus, but seems overblown to me. It has always been quick and responsive to me. The D70 is a hair quicker, as measured in milliseconds. I did not find the 300D's autofocus to be any better.

This might sound one sided, but I think everyone's already covered even good point of both the 300D and D70 and I don't really need to rehash. They're all cameras so capable that very few photographers will find them to be the weak link in their system.

I have no real suggestion for you, just what I found when I was in your position back in October. There is no best camera, really. My friend is in love with her D70. She uses it for work with the local newspaper, only wants new lenses, doesn't care about MLU, and could care less about the viewfinder because she only uses good autofocus lenses and only shots situations in which she wouldn't use precise focusing. My mom has the 300D and couldn't be happier with the speed and image quality. She could care less about fps, MLU, or convenient manual mode.