Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

So, I want a DSLR - Nikon D70/80 or Canon 20/30D

Hello everyone,

I have been wanting a DSLR for a very long time now but I haven`t had the money. At this point, I still don`t have the money but I`ve just gotta do it anyway.

My current camera is a Minolta X-700, and I want a Nikon or Canon, so me having lenses from one of those brands is ruled out. Except for the fact that my Dad just got a Nikon D70s, and a couple of nice additional lenses. So I could easily borrow his lenses from time to time if I got a Nikon.

Money is a big issue, but I figure that if I get something I`m not completely happy with then I will just end up shelling out another wad of money in a year or two. So I may as well dip into someone elses pocket and get just what I want.

The options were Nikon`s D70(s) or Canon`s 20D, until I realised the Nikon D80 is coming out in Sept which looks fantastic.

I`m wondering if anyone has comments, advice or anything that might help my decision along.

Thanks so much,

Devon

Sports photo junkie jorgemonkey's Avatar

Re: So, I want a DSLR - Nikon D70/80 or Canon 20/30D

Well I can't comment on the Canon equipment since I've only used a 20D for about 1/2 hour at a friends house.

I currently have the Nikon D70, and I love that camera. I used it for a couple years as my main camera until now since I recently got a D2h. I've been spending more time with the D2h since I'm still learning all the different settings with the camera.

When I was shopping for my first DSLR, and one of the biggest factors was my Dad & Grandfather have Nikon cameras & lenses. SO, now I've inherited some pretty cool equipment from them.

I've printed some D70 photographs at 11x14, and I wouldn't be afraid to print one bigger. The AF is ok, but painfully slow next to the D2h. Image quality is fantastic, and it has really good high ISO performance.

The D80 looks really nice, with the better AF and of course the 10mp sensor. I'd goto a camera store and hold a couple different cameras in your hand, and see for yourself which feels best. That and read lots of reviews and find different pictures taken by both cameras to see what they can do.
    Nikon Samurai #21

Cameras:
    D700
    D300
    D200
    D2H

Lenses:
    Nikon 35mm F1.8, 35 F2, 50mm F1.8, 70-200 F2.8 VR
    Sigma 150mm F2.8 Macro
    Tokina 12-24 F4
    SB900 & SB800 flashes

Wait till Photokina

Quote Originally Posted by devon
    Hello everyone,

I have been wanting a DSLR for a very long time now but I haven`t had the money. At this point, I still don`t have the money but I`ve just gotta do it anyway.

My current camera is a Minolta X-700, and I want a Nikon or Canon, so me having lenses from one of those brands is ruled out. Except for the fact that my Dad just got a Nikon D70s, and a couple of nice additional lenses. So I could easily borrow his lenses from time to time if I got a Nikon.

Money is a big issue, but I figure that if I get something I`m not completely happy with then I will just end up shelling out another wad of money in a year or two. So I may as well dip into someone elses pocket and get just what I want.

The options were Nikon`s D70(s) or Canon`s 20D, until I realised the Nikon D80 is coming out in Sept which looks fantastic.

I`m wondering if anyone has comments, advice or anything that might help my decision along.

Thanks so much,

Devon
    Any of the cameras you mentioned would do fine. As the previous poster suggested, the best thing you can do is go into a camera store and try them out. As you already have Nikon in the family this strongly orientates you towards Nikon. I would go for the D80 - the viewfinder on the D80 is the same as on the D200 and it's a vast improvement over the D70.

If you're still interested in Canon then I would say wait till Photokina in September. I figure that Canon have several new announcements to make, which will drive the price of the existing models down. The competition has been moving ahead:

- the 350D is too expensive compared with the D50
    - the 30D has less pixels and a pokey viewfinder compared with the D80
    - there is no weather-sealed body to compete with the D200

Charles

I don't think you can make a bad choice with any of these cameras. Each one has pros and cons depending on specific features that you're used to using, for example:

20D - no spot meter (I think all the others have it, one of my favorites but not important to everyone). The 30D has one (well, sort of - not as tight as most spot meters) but I don't know much about Canon so can't really comment. Good stuff though.

D70s - fastest flash sync speed you'll find in probably any DSLR, 1/500.

The only time when waiting for the latest/greatest makes sense (IMO) is when it's already been announced and should be released shortly - which is the case with the D80. It probably will be in short supply like most new models. It does have a slower flash sync speed of 1/200 and uses SD cards unlike the others but overall it's probably a better camera than the D70s.

Hmm, thanks, great advice. Everything all of you said has passed through my head, but it`s nice to have it validated in some form or another.

Right now, I think I`m going to wait for the D80, but, keep a look out for good deals on used D70s on craigslist.
    I`m a little worried about the price of the D80, but it does look really really good. And going with Nikon now that my Dad is a Nikoner seems like a sensable idea. I`ve held the D70 and 30D in my hand, they both felt really good, though I think I did prefer the shutterspeed dail positioning on the 20D.

Anything more people have to say would be greatly appreciatted! Keep it coming!

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

I'd go with the D80 if you can. Its got a great sensor, with great resolution, a good AF system, and a fantastic viewfinder. the flash has a good deal of versatility as a wireless commander for two groups, the LCD is huge and gets you great detail. It has a ton of features from the D200.

Ergonomics are a big thing. The D80 is generally in line with the style of the D50 and D70- well built, a lot of controls outside, some in menus...the D80 is improved in this regard- it is easier to change some things without using menus now.

The EN-EL3E battery in the D80 is high capacity and while battery life hasn't been tested in real world conditions, it is supposed to be better than the D200.

If you find you aren't satisfied with it, there's a clear upgrade path to the D200 from there- and the D200 I can personally vouch for as an excellent body.

I'd skip the D70- its nearing the end of its life technologically, and the viewfinder is small and for only a bit more you get better AF on the D80.

Ergonomics and ease of use are key though. When the D80 comes out, try it. Find out what its like...play around with it a lot. most people I know who try and use the cameras before buying trend towards the nikons.
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Good points. Thanks!

I`m getting excited already! It`s gonna be sooo much fun. Now anyone know of some lucky lotto numbers?

Wink No Brainer....

Nikon D80!!!!

IMHO, that is.

;-)
    Nikon Samurai # 1

http://mccabephotography.tripod.com

http://precisionshotsphoto.tripod.com

"Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry." - Thomas Jefferson

With the D80 just announced I would be jumping all over the D70s. Prices are gonna drop because the D80's announced. Should you get the D80? Yeah, if you're willing to wait a year, at which point they will probably be out of the typical new electronics "teething phase." Get a first-run product and expect problems. And always remember that the D70s will take the same pics no matter what. The D80 doesn't all os a sudden make its images look like a camera phone.

That being said, I switched to Canon from Nikon a few years ago and couldn't be happier.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

oooooh, scandalous. Tell me about it, why did you switch from one of the biggest and best brands to the other biggest and best?

Quote Originally Posted by devon
    oooooh, scandalous.
    No, not really.

Too much noise and too much of a color shift in blacks at high ISOs. Also, I got supremely annoyed with their company policy of them telling me what I want instead of giving me what I want while Canon had better quality and a range of sensor sizes for different applications.
    -Seb

My website

(Please don't edit and repost my images without my permission. Thank you)

How to tell the most experienced shooter in a group? They have the least amount of toys on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian
    No, not really.

Too much noise and too much of a color shift in blacks at high ISOs. Also, I got supremely annoyed with their company policy of them telling me what I want instead of giving me what I want while Canon had better quality and a range of sensor sizes for different applications.
    And nikon applies a stronger moire (blur/anti-alias) filter. Thus, it doesn't significantly outperform the 20/30d's in terms of resolution (as if 8 to 10Mp were significant anyway). However, either make will do you fine - and I'm sure you can get a great deal on a d70 now.

While I have higher res cameras, I still find my faithful 6Mp 10d is more than adequate for almost anything. It's still my grab and go camera. IOW, don't get to caught up in special features. You didn't seem to need to upgrade from your x700 and that would have been cheap compared to what you're looking at now (consider accessories you'll need!). Was there anything that you alway felt you were needing with the x700? If so, look into a camera that has that feature.

BTW, why not a sony alpha? Same, or better sensor; as nikon gets their sensors from sony, image stabilization built in, your lenses will work, if you have a flash unit it will work, dust reduction built in, future ziess lenses, etc. I can't see a reason not to go this route.

Mike

Thread Information