Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

SLR camera for Golf Swing

I currently use a camcorder for analizing my students golf swing, but the image during the fastest part of the swing is too blurred. High speed digital cameras are too expensive so I was thinking of going to an SLR multi burst still camera. I believe with a 5 or 6 fps I could capture all of the key parts of the swing with no more than two attemps starting at slighltly different times.

As an add on service to my students is to prepare for them a framed sequence of their swing but I need each image to be really sharp.

If the goal is to have the sharpest image during the fastest part of the swing for under $2000, can I accomplish this easier with an SLR still camera or do you know of any camcorders that have enough high-speed features that are better?

You probabaly can guess that I am very knew to photography.

thanks

Check out our D300 Pro Review! deckcadet's Avatar

Re: SLR camera for Golf Swing

have you tried a video camera that has an adjustable shutter speed? The faster that is set, the less motion blur. Auto exposure might favor a slower speed (or have a slow max speed in the camera you have) combined with a smaller aperture and reduced gain, perhaps throwing in an ND filter. With cameras offering manual, you could end up with a top speed close to that of an SLR but with a higher framerate.

With that said, I don't think that 5fps is really fast enough for a golf swing, and he two pass thing requires both perfect timing and a perfect repeat.
    if you don't need extremely high resolution, which coming from standard def video would seem to be the case, you could pick up a used Nikon D2H or Canon original Eos-1D, both of which have excellent 8fps drive speeds. The d2h is newer, lighter, has a bigger screen, improved usability being of the generation after the 1D, has a big buffer, fast write speeds, and a vastly superior battery system. Either way youd be fine though. Just buy a high speed SanDisk memory card (some lexars had issues with older Canons), and a good lens at the appropriate focal length- wider means greater depth of field and shorter focus throw- just focus once, set to manual focus so the camera doesnt hesitate trying to track, set a high shutter speed and adjust ISO sensitivity until you have a good enough aperture to ensure sufficient DOF, and let her rip!
    Harrison
    Nikon Forum / Digital SLR Forum Moderator | moderator bio
    Check out our new Nikon D300 Pro Review D3 review coming soon...
    Nikon Samurai #9 | NPS Member
    10 Lenses • 5 Bodies • 3 Macs • 1 Sore Back

Thread Information