which slr to buy...

Printable View

• 04-12-2004, 11:46 PM
    soren
    which slr to buy...
    well ive slowly gained experience through 3 cameras (pentax slr, and 2 compact digi's)... and i think its time that i upgrade to a digital slr. but im not to familiar with what is out there at the moment, or what will be coming out in the near future

im looking to spend at least $1000 cdn but trying to keep it under $1500

any suggestions or comparison sites i can check out?

at the moment im liking nikons color and canons sharpness in most of their camera models
  • 04-13-2004, 05:44 AM
    Sean Dempsey
    Canon Digital Rebel. Listen to the rebel owners, there isn't a single one dissatisfied. Others may scoff at it, but the Rebel was "Camera of the year" for a reason. Don't pay 500 extra dollars for features you'll rarely use.
  • 04-13-2004, 08:04 AM
    Sebastian
    The best DSLR in the $1000-1500 (US) price range right now is the Nikon D70. Best resolution, great noise characteristics. However, there is some moire do to the weak AA filter, which is the reason it has such good resolution. But that can be remedied with software.
  • 04-14-2004, 04:45 AM
    frannymac
    moire?
    can I show my ignorance and ask what this is?
  • 04-14-2004, 11:06 AM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frannymac
    can I show my ignorance and ask what this is?

It's a multicolored wave pattern that can show up on very finely textured areas...

http://www.pbase.com/image/26474508/original

Look at the fence/screen in the window on the left, the wavy colors is moire. It is due to the weaker AA filter (Anti-Aliasing) which increases resolution. Usually AA filters are stronger to help prevent this and smooth out jaggies.
  • 04-14-2004, 12:12 PM
    soren
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    It's a multicolored wave pattern that can show up on very finely textured areas...

http://www.pbase.com/image/26474508/original

Look at the fence/screen in the window on the left, the wavy colors is moire. It is due to the weaker AA filter (Anti-Aliasing) which increases resolution. Usually AA filters are stronger to help prevent this and smooth out jaggies.

i have seen other examples of this lack of AA, such has fine textured walls.

you said there was software that can counter this effect? what software should be used and how simple is it to fix this problem? this COULD be the deciding factor for me, because seeing this kind of quality from the D70 worries me
  • 04-14-2004, 12:29 PM
    Sebastian
    Quote:

Originally Posted by soren
    i have seen other examples of this lack of AA, such has fine textured walls.

you said there was software that can counter this effect? what software should be used and how simple is it to fix this problem? this COULD be the deciding factor for me, because seeing this kind of quality from the D70 worries me

I have read that some have used third party software. I also have read that a Capture update will include a moire reduction function. I do not know more than that since I no longer shoot Nikon and have really no desire to delve deeply into these issues, sorry.

If you want a huge headache with a slight chance of finding some useful info, check out the dpreview.com forums...you might be able to dig up soemthing usefull in that refuse.
  • 04-14-2004, 12:44 PM
    soren
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastian
    I have read that some have used third party software. I also have read that a Capture update will include a moire reduction function. I do not know more than that since I no longer shoot Nikon and have really no desire to delve deeply into these issues, sorry.

If you want a huge headache with a slight chance of finding some useful info, check out the dpreview.com forums...you might be able to dig up soemthing usefull in that refuse.

thx

and ya i have already spent hours on dpreview.com .... and your right, it does induce headaches quite easily. so many childish arguments and responses. but ive found with some patients and digging i can find some useful info and other good informative sites

what do you shoot now?
  • 04-14-2004, 01:16 PM
    Photo-John
    I wouldn't worry about moire
    Soren-
    I wouldn't worry too much about moire. It's in the nature of digital camera CCD and CMOS sensors to produce it and it's always going to be a factor. The only exception are the Sigma digital SLRs and their Foveon sensors. I believe that they are moire-free. But for cameras that use CCD and CMOS sensors there will always be moire issues. It just depends on the types of subjects and patterns that appear in your photos. The manufacturer's solutuion is to use a stronger anti-aliasing filter. But that will soften the captured image. Better to choose a camera based on the system and the overall image quality then get distracted by one potential problem. Plus, if you do find that moire is a problem for you, there are software solutions. And those are probably better since you only use them when you need to.

I also agree with Sebastian that the D70 is currently the best camera in its class. Actually, I think it's in a class of its own. Not to knock the Digital Rebel, but the D70 is a real, full-featured body and the Digital Rebel is something of a sabotaged EOS 10D. So, consider the image quality, the functionality, and the system. Those are what you should be basing your decision on.
  • 04-14-2004, 09:40 PM
    soren
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Photo-John
    Soren-
    I wouldn't worry too much about moire. It's in the nature of digital camera CCD and CMOS sensors to produce it and it's always going to be a factor. The only exception are the Sigma digital SLRs and their Foveon sensors. I believe that they are moire-free. But for cameras that use CCD and CMOS sensors there will always be moire issues. It just depends on the types of subjects and patterns that appear in your photos. The manufacturer's solutuion is to use a stronger anti-aliasing filter. But that will soften the captured image. Better to choose a camera based on the system and the overall image quality then get distracted by one potential problem. Plus, if you do find that moire is a problem for you, there are software solutions. And those are probably better since you only use them when you need to.

I also agree with Sebastian that the D70 is currently the best camera in its class. Actually, I think it's in a class of its own. Not to knock the Digital Rebel, but the D70 is a real, full-featured body and the Digital Rebel is something of a sabotaged EOS 10D. So, consider the image quality, the functionality, and the system. Those are what you should be basing your decision on.

thx for the great bit of info :D
    after a lot of reading, researching, and talking to other users i think i have my heart set on the d70