Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Canon DSLR help

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Canon DSLR help

Hi All, I just bought a new Canon Rebel XT DSLR here yesterday and I need help and info.
    I also have a Canon Rebel 2000 EOS 35mm.
    I have a Canon 28-80mm lens, Canon EFS 18-55mm lens, And a Quantaray 70-300mm LDO Macro lens, and a 2x doubler

When I got my 35mm Canon Rebel 2000 The stock lens was not big enough for me so I bought the 70-300mm Quantaray lens and it work fine and still does with my 35mm Canon when I last used it 7 years ago.
    Now here is my Problem I went and took my new Canon Rebel XT and connected the 70-300mm lens on to do some Macro shots in the sunlight of roses and I kept getting the Error Code 99. Whats Wrong?
    I also can only set the f stop to 4.0 with out getting the Error

And sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

Learning more with every "click" mjs1973's Avatar

Re: Canon DSLR help

Welcome to the Forum. The Error 99 is a pretty common one. From what you describe, it sounds like your lens needs to be rechipped to make it fully compatible with your camera. It could also mean that you need to clean the contacts on the lens. This is where I would start. Use an eraser from a pencil to clean them off and see if that helps.

If that doesn't work, I would call Ritz Camera. (Quantaray is the house brand for Ritz) I think Quantaray is made by Sigma, and if I remember correctly, Sigma has been very good about rechipping their lenses to make them compatible with the new DSLR's.

Good luck.
    Mike

My website
    Twitter
    Blog

"I thought that because fewer wolves meant more deer, that no wolves would mean hunters' paradise. But after seeing the green fire die, I sensed that neither the wolf nor the mountain agreed with such a view."
    Aldo Leopold

Starting to think outside of the box icicle's Avatar

Re: Canon DSLR help

Thank You.

Thread Information