Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Olympus E-500

deviant artist

Olympus E-500

This is my first DSLR, but I'd really like to hear what everyone thinks about this machine. So far, it's been great except for a minor problem with the memory card.

I'm not a professional, but I'd just like an opinion.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Olympus E-500

Quote Originally Posted by kontenjeru
    This is my first DSLR, but I'd really like to hear what everyone thinks about this machine. So far, it's been great except for a minor problem with the memory card.

I'm not a professional, but I'd just like an opinion.
    What everyone else thinks about the camera is irrelevent if YOU like it! There is good and bad about every camera, just take lots of photos and post your best here.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Have you looked at the user reviews here?

Olympus E-500 Digital SLR Reviews >>

I haven't used the E-500, but I have used the Olympus E-1 and I like the Four Thirds system. I am particularly fond of the compact and powerful Olympus zoom lenses. For me, they're the best thing about the Olympus digital SLRs and the Four Thirds system.

Michael is right about you liking the camera, though. There's no real need to compare it to others. I think every digital SLR being made right now is good. There are no bad ones. They're all very, very impressive compared to what we were using and paying a lot more for a few years ago. Your E-500 should serve you very well. And if you feel like you need something different / better, Olympus is supposed to have a pro-level E-1 replacement sometime next year. But the best thing you can do is concentrate on taking pictures and not worry about how your camera measures up.

Just in case you have some specific concerns - are you having problems or is there some features that worries you? It is possible that you have some special need that another camera might work better for. Probably not, but it does happen.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

I love mine. My only issues are with the slow burst mode (well ok... slower =P ) and there are some noise issues in low light at and ISO but other than that it made my learning curve very shallow in my introduction to Digital SLR's.

I was able to take this as my first DSLR and learn from scratch because of the ease of use. I used shutter priority to learn how the camera sets up the exposures and then switched to apature priority to learn how the shutter speeds are affected by the changes I made, then finally switched to full manual and now I am in control of the camera instead of locking it on auto and having an expensive P&S camera.

New lenses are on the way for teh 4/3 system now also. I should be getting a 50 - 500 (f4.3 - 6.2) from Sigma in the mail today (gotta love UPS tracking) to add to my arsenal.

Shouls make bird shooting a whole lot more fun .... if it comes today look for some new images in teh nature section later on. The Jays are everywhere as well as te Cardinals around here. Gonna go bird hunting.
    Shooting with an Olympus Evolt E-510 and loving it

Equipment list:
    Olympus Evolt E-3, E-620, E-500
    Olympus Zuiko 40 - 150 F4.0 - 5.6
    Olympus Zuiko 14 - 45 F 2.8 - 3.6
    Sigma 50 - 500 F 4.0 - 6.3
    Sigma 70 - 200 F2.8
    Olympus FL-38 Flash x2
    Vivitar 285 HV
    Better Beamer Flash Extender

http://www.jdtimages.ca/

A Photographer that is fluent in Sarcasm.

Thread Information