Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

Thread: Lens Filter

Lens Filter

Which filter should you use on Canon 17-85 lens EF-S A polarizer or UV

Re: Lens Filter

Usually you'd only want a Polarizer when you want that effect - it will cost you a stop or two of light depending on the situation and angle that you're at to the light. A lot of people use UV filters as "protective" filters on their lenses because they're clear. Make sure to get a good multi-coated filter; Hoya HMC have worked well for me.

However, a lot of people - myself included - don't use any filters on a regular basis. I almost always use a lens hood which will provide some protection to the lens as well (assuming it's hard platic or metal). The downside of UV filters is that they can flare just like a lens can and are usually more likely to do it. A hood is designed to cut lens flare, so there is really two advantages to using a hood. Get the hood that's specifically designed for that lens; it will give you the most protection on both accounts.

Poster Formerly Known as Michael Fanelli mwfanelli's Avatar

Re: Lens Filter

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgunner9
    Which filter should you use on Canon 17-85 lens EF-S A polarizer or UV
    A polarizer is not a full time filter. It cuts light down by 2 - 2.5 stops. Use only when required. By the way, you need a circular polarizer, not a linear.

The UV filter is useless. If you insist on one for "protection", get the very best you can afford.to limit the image degradation. A better solution is to use the free lens cap. A hood is also great as it does protect the lens as well as reducing flare and stray light.
    "Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." --Mark Twain

Thread Information