Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: seeking first dSLR advice

Quote Originally Posted by OldClicker
    The polarizer will reduce the reflection off of any thing that polarizes the light. Note the windows on the right in these two - one with a CPL, one without. Also note that the reflection from the wood floor hardly changed at all. - TF

Ah yes, look at that! I do see the difference in the reflections. Interesting!
    http://havanajoe08.shutterfly.com/

Olympus E-PL1

Feel free to edit my photos!

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by ronin2307
    here is a quick question: I have been reading different opinions on needing a filter for these lenses. Some seems to think it is crucial to protect the lens, other say not so since the lenses are not that expensive anyway and with some care, most damage can easily prevented.
    Any thoughts on those or any other accessories (lens cleaning kits etc)?
    thx

PS: i meant the lenses I will own. I realize there are much much more expensive lenses
    Ronin......

I've had Canon dslr's for a number of years and have never used a "protective" filter (UV, etc). I'm careful with the camera, keep the front cap on when I'm not actively using it (even when I'm carrying it around until I want to use it). I see no need to be honest. I've never dropped the camera and am just careful.

If you feel you need a protective filter, buying a cheap one can diminish image quality so I would invest in a good quality (more expensive).

If you are considering the ND or polarizer, I would wait because you won't need it right away. Then you can get used to the camera, try it outdoors in the sun, etc. and determine by your use if you really need/want a filter.

When will your camera arrive!

Liz

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

If you have a pair of polarized sunglasses, put them on on a partly cloudy partly sunny day.
    Look at the clouds and sky. Take them off, put them on. That's what a polarizer does.
    Cannot be duplicated in photoshop......at least not easily.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz
    Ronin......

I've had Canon dslr's for a number of years and have never used a "protective" filter (UV, etc). I'm careful with the camera, keep the front cap on when I'm not actively using it (even when I'm carrying it around until I want to use it). I see no need to be honest. I've never dropped the camera and am just careful.

If you feel you need a protective filter, buying a cheap one can diminish image quality so I would invest in a good quality (more expensive).

If you are considering the ND or polarizer, I would wait because you won't need it right away. Then you can get used to the camera, try it outdoors in the sun, etc. and determine by your use if you really need/want a filter.

When will your camera arrive!

Liz
    Thank you very much for your comments. after thinking about it a bit, i think i came to realization that i need to get used to the camera first before starting to mess with the filters. I think if i am careful a bit, i shouldnt have any need for "protective filters" in terms of physical abuse. However once i know how to use this camera properly I think i will spring for a polarizing filter for outdoor shots, but that is sometime in the future.
    for now, i think any picture i take with a dSLR will have to be better than what my cheap P+S managed to pull off.

the gear should all be here tomorrow. psyched especially since we are taking our 3-year old to Chicago next weekend to the Shedd Aquarium and a few other places. Hoping I get some really nice pictures.

Liz

Quote Originally Posted by ronin2307
    Thank you very much for your comments. after thinking about it a bit, i think i came to realization that i need to get used to the camera first before starting to mess with the filters. I think if i am careful a bit, i shouldnt have any need for "protective filters" in terms of physical abuse. However once i know how to use this camera properly I think i will spring for a polarizing filter for outdoor shots, but that is sometime in the future.
    for now, i think any picture i take with a dSLR will have to be better than what my cheap P+S managed to pull off.

the gear should all be here tomorrow. psyched especially since we are taking our 3-year old to Chicago next weekend to the Shedd Aquarium and a few other places. Hoping I get some really nice pictures.
    Ronin - that's great news.

I would suggest you get as much "practice" as you can when you first get the camera. You might begin with "auto" straight out of the box and then try out "P" and other settings and modes so you will feel comfortable when you go to Chicago. That way you can have more fun versus figuring out the camera.

I say this from my own first dslr experience. Coming from a p&s camera, there is a big difference - and you have many more choices in choosing settings and features. It is a learning curve and may take a bit of work (and practice) to get the results you want. Having said that, you can always use it on auto or do a few minor setting changes if you don't have the time. But you won't be disappointed!

I'm really happy for you.

Feel free to come here with any questions or suggestions - and post some pics if you want suggestions for improvements.

Liz

well the verdict is in: LOVE IT!!!!
    yes it is a learning curve, yes I have no idea atm what I am doing, but the camera easily corrects some of my mistakes.
    And with Adobe Lightroom, I can manage to make some really decent looking pictures. I am sure from the technical aspect it is a disaster, but as long as my wife and I think that is eye-pleasing, I have bought myself time to truly learn how to take great pictures.
    thanks to everybody for your advice. see you around

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information