Digital SLR Cameras Forum

Digital SLRs Forum Discuss digital SLRs, lenses, RAW conversion, or anything else related to digital SLRs. You may also want to see the Nikon, Canon, and Sony camera forums.
Digital Camera Pro Reviews >>
Read and Write Digital SLR Reviews >>
Digital SLR Buyer's Guide >>

the right camera?

user gallery

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, Im new to dslr. I have a canon elan 2e film slr with a 28-80 lens and a ef 75-3001:4-5.6 zoom lens that I have had for about ten years now.

My new hobby is high powered rocketry and need a camera to capture many frames of the liftoff.

I am considering the canon xsi slr due to its lower price vs the higher end models. Will this camera work with my older lenses? and is the this the right camera for the job?

also what accesory do I need to take multiple speed shots?

thanks very much, bob
    Last edited by titan; 11-12-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Re: the right camera?

heres a couple of shots that a fellow member took for me!

titan-
    Welcome to PhotographyREVIEW.com! The rocket photos are cool. I played with small model rockets a bit when I was a kid. We ask that members only post their own photos on the site, though. Because this is a serious photo site, we want to respect photo ownership more than the rest of the world does. So if you want to share your friend's photos, it's best to get them to post them

So, on to your question...

The Canon XSi is an excellent camera. But it has a very slow frame rate and I don't think it will be able to do what you want. The frame rate is a built-in camera function and there's no accessory you can buy to speed it up. The only thing you can do is buy a faster camera. Do you have any idea how fast you need to be able to shoot? The Canon EOS 40D shoots at 6.5 frames per second. And the EOS-1D Mark III will capture 10 frames-per second. The EOS-1D Mark III will cost you over $4000 for just a body, though.
    Photo-John

Your reviews are the foundation of this site - Write A Review!

Thank for the reply John, btw thats my rocket and my buddy turned over the pics to me so thsy are mine

with regards to the frames per second Im not sure I can check with some of my fellow club members to see what there using. I know I dont want to spend a pile of money for a camera for this purpose!

thanks, bob

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Or the Casio Exilim EX-FH20 high speed camera at 40fps ?
    Or maybe the bigger, heavier, faster EX-F1 at 60fps ?
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

fast enough but but the zoom is limited and no interchangable lens option

ok, I spoke with a fellow club member who has the rebel and d40 and He said the d40 is the better choice for the job. With that said what lens should I buy for taking pics of family, landscapes etc... I have a 75-300 for the rocket launches.

is the 28-135mm a good choice?

thanks, bob

project forum co-moderator Frog's Avatar

Have you considered the Nikon D90? You can shoot videos with it.
    Keep Shooting!

CHECK OUT THE PHOTO PROJECT FORUM
    http://forums.photographyreview.com/...splay.php?f=34

Please refrain from editing my photos without asking.

Panarus biarmicus Moderator (Sports) SmartWombat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by titan
    fast enough but but the zoom is limited and no interchangable lens option
    Ah I guess you're also thinking of using it for other purposes, so if you want DSLR there is plenty of choice.
    Unfortunately that choice makes it hard to decide - it doesn't have to be Canon for some other reason, does it ?

If you have old Canon lenses, then if they're really old FD mount then you can't use them on the modern EF or EF-S mount bodies.
    Well technically you can but not without an adapter that's rarer than hen's teeth (around $500 if you find one used) or if you just use a mount converter then you lose the focus to infinity (but it's cheaper) neither of which is an attractive option to me to put a manual aperture manual focus lens on an AF capable digital body.

For good quality images, the zoom is always limited. Too wide a zoom range and the image quality decreases. Usually 3:1 (so 25-75, 70-210, 100-300) is a good rule of thumb for quality, get much beyond that and it can suffer. My 70-200 L f/2.8 is good wide open across the range, but my 100-400 L needs to be stopped down to about F/8 for quality.
    PAul

Scroll down to the Sports Forum and post your sports pictures !

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Have you considered the Nikon D90? You can shoot videos with it.

I do have canon lenses (75-300 1:4-5.6 3 usm ultrasonic Im hoping its compatable) and a canon speedlite 380 ex flash, so sticking with canon is probalbly cheaper.

plus I have a sony hd camcorder too.

Thread Information